Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Since this is SOHC engine I will be doing this timing belt myself. Blu was a DOHC so I was more then happy to pay someone to do it. I am looking on ebay and do not see many complete TB Kits (with seals or is that not the norm).

Any recommendations?

Also anyone have luck with buying new front hubs on ebay/ The "big car" (considering his lil brother is a Justy) is coming up on 200K and I would like to get ahead on somethings (read I have the money). I have an odd whining noise in the front just starting and I suspect a wheel hub.

Thanks.

Amazon and rockauto are becoming far better shopping places for Subaru timing kits.  Get the Gates kits for $110 here:

http://www.amazon.com/Gates-TCK304-Timing-Belt-Component/dp/compatibility-chart/B002R8HMAY

make sure this is the right water pump (one outlet instead of two should be correct):

http://www.amazon.com/Gates-TCKWP307-Engine-Timing-Water/dp/compatibility-chart/B003TUCFT2

I always do water pump, cam seals, oil pump reseal while i'm in there but those components are robust enough to skip without much issue if one wants to/there's a compelling reason.

I'm sure you know but don't use aftermarket water pump gaskets.

The bolt on hubs are really easy to replace, assuming it's not rust-welded into place.  2005 should be new enough that issue is unlikely!

Edited by grossgary

Seals are cheap enough from a dealer. If you can't find a good kit with seals just get the seals separate rather than going cheap on the major parts just to get a kit with seals included.

Whining isn't typically a wheel bearing issue. This is also not something I would cheap-out on if the bearings have to be pressed in. Rear bearings are bolt-on for that year so are easier to replace if a cheaper part doesn't last.