Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ever disected EA82 NA Y pipe ?

Just asking if anyone has ever disected an EA82 NA Y pipe (or run one to disintergration) ?

I've got that awful loose baffle/loose cat/ fractured inner pipe rattle that comes and goes - sounds bleeding awful, embarassing etc

I recall that viewing from the head flange I could see a hole into between the inner and outer tubes - just an inch below the flange. Now wondering if i should have belted it or tried to weld it shut.

No idea how far this double wall/skin/tube goes for ?

Thinking would love to be able to drill an access hole, belt the stuffings out of it, weld up hole and go on my merry way :)

Otherwise i will just have to put up with noise until it comes off road in a few months

When I got my Suby my brother replaced from the center hanger back so I'm not positive on if the double wall goes throughout the entire system but I had my Exaust guy burn the outer pipe into the inner pipe to stop the rattles he started all the way by the to of the manifold all the way throughout the downpipe to the y pipe and the rattles are gone:)

But when I say he burned when I was watching him it looked like he just really burned a hole through the first pipe and then he built the weld back out so it pretty much fused the two together, if that makes sense, just an idea:)

Oh and the part that really sucked was I thought my cat was rattling at first so we cut the output of the Y off and gutted the cat..........bad idea for me. All that did was make it sound like a pos with an Exaust leak:(

So I had to get Y made and another cat to bring down the noise and I still don't like the way it sounds..

If you like the way it sounds be careful what you do it ended up being a can of worms for me and if I could afford it I would see if the stock cat is still available and buy one to get it back to normal...

Good luck:)

Disco.

Edited by Discombobulated

Mine rattles too. Replaced y-pipe/cat with a Magnaflow direct replacement after I bought the wagon (due to one of the legs of the Y cracking clean through), and about a month after it started tinging. All this time I've thought it was the cat heat shielding. Now, after reading this, I'm wondering if it's that stupid double wall crap in the pipes? Perhaps I should have the cat and flanges cut out and welded to some shop-made piping........

Edited by SmashedGlass

The double wall throughout.

It goes to single at each flange or inlet into the CAT.

Makes the whole system quieter and cooler for travel over tall grass and suck....

But it's annoying when it disintegrates.......

IIRC.....If you cut it open a section to splice .....1 7/8 exhaust pipe will shove right into the gap between the 2 walls

aha, great, thanks fellas for the input :)

Once saw a sticker, buff fella leaping out of the bedclothes, his woman wielding a big knife. "Never blame your tools"

So, I have a very affordable gasless wire feed welder, or a stick welder and my skills have never had a chance to excell, so always try to steer away from welding thin things like exhaust unless I can get near a proper mig or two - then my skills improve immensely!

Thinking I might also try random self tappers screwed through from outside until I get the sweetspot - picturing a hex head studded Y pipe :)

• Like 1

aha, great, thanks fellas for the input :)

Once saw a sticker, buff fella leaping out of the bedclothes, his woman wielding a big knife. "Never blame your tools"

So, I have a very affordable gasless wire feed welder, or a stick welder and my skills have never had a chance to excell, so always try to steer away from welding thin things like exhaust unless I can get near a proper mig or two - then my skills improve immensely!

Thinking I might also try random self tappers screwed through from outside until I get the sweetspot - picturing a hex head studded Y pipe :)

if you get enough self tappers in there you can further reduce the temperatures due to more surface area/turbulence :D  

Or you could remove the outer sheathing and have the exahust just a single layer like almost every other y pipe in existance.It wouldn't hurt to make some sort of heat shield for the CV joint so it doesn't get baked(only the driver is allowed to get baked, but never when operating it :) )

well, if it is a sealed inner pipe within an outer pipe like I think it is now, the hole up front on the inside would be leaking into the vacuum and could be part of the problem. It may need a bash and weld up one day soon

Or you could remove the outer sheathing and have the exahust just a single layer like almost every other y pipe in existance.It wouldn't hurt to make some sort of heat shield for the CV joint so it doesn't get baked(only the driver is allowed to get baked, but never when operating it :) )

We aren't talking about the Gaurd/heatsheilds......those bolt on.

We mean the actual pipe beteen each junction, is double walled.......you can't really just remove the outside.