Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can't seem to find repalcement coolant bypass hose from an EA81, leak! Pics of part and FSM

Hi all, I noticed a coolant leak and traced it (fortunately) to a coolant bypass hose.

I managed to remove it, albeit with trouble as it's buried under spark plug and carb tubes/cables, an alternator (at least it gave me an opportunity to swap the old belt for that!), etc.

No store around me carries such a small hose, molded of course. It is so tiny, a generic straight line would kink if bent that tightly I believe.

1397419611684.jpg

IMG_20140414_135638.jpg

ALSO: I snapped the plastic tube off the part that connects between the hose in question.

I need this too! I'll check real quick online, but I could only find the larger bypass hose on parts sites.

On the FSM photo, the plastic piece would be between the (right) end of the highlighted hose and the bypass tube.

It is absent in the FSM snapshot.

The broken plastic stem connects to the bypass tube.

Any advice or links would greatly help!

~Please and thanks!

-Sam

IMG_20140419_181533.jpg

IMG_20140419_181545.jpg

IMG_20140419_181549.jpg

IMG_20140419_181557.jpg

IMG_20140419_181607.jpg

IMG_20140419_181613.jpg

Edited by SnatchedHatch

nice to just get the Subaru hose if you can on tough molded/curved stuff.  like you said they kink if you don't.

if you do just use regular hose make it a lot longer depending on space.  sometimes too long can even make it kink if it then runs into stuff where it does bend.  but in general additional length can allow any degree of turn.

nice to just get the Subaru hose if you can on tough molded/curved stuff. like you said they kink if you don't.

if you do just use regular hose make it a lot longer depending on space. sometimes too long can even make it kink if it then runs into stuff where it does bend. but in general additional length can allow any degree of turn.

I do realize extra hose will allow some leeway, but the first bend, on the left aide comes from a nozzle pointing downwards at a steep angle pointing right at a plate, the bend is max an inch in radius and basically touches that plate.

It doesn't even "need" to be there.....it just gives Coolant to the carb base.  But it doesn't flow.....it's just a dead end passage from what I recall.

so you could just cap the tube.

Or just use generic hose and bend it around....it'll be fine.

It doesn't even "need" to be there.....it just gives Coolant to the carb base.  But it doesn't flow.....it's just a dead end passage from what I recall.

so you could just cap the tube.

Or just use generic hose and bend it around....it'll be fine.

I was thinking the same as I noticed where it fed, can anyone else verify this?

Vouch for this? I don't like the sounds of reducing cooling to engine components.

Capped or replaced hmm

i remove hoses all the time from throttle bodies, they're intended to bring the throttle plate up to operating temps quick so it doesn't freeze/stick.  if it's like that, which is sounds, it's pointless unless maybe you're in the arctic.  i routinely remove the throttle coolant hoses if i'm already removing them or the intake for something else, fewer hoses and clamps to leak.  gets a little below zero where i live and i've never had an issue.

• Like 1

Hi all, I noticed a coolant leak and traced it (fortunately) to a coolant bypass hose.

I managed to remove it, albeit with trouble as it's buried under spark plug and carb tubes/cables, an alternator (at least it gave me an opportunity to swap the old belt for that!), etc.

No store around me carries such a small hose, molded of course. It is so tiny, a generic straight line would kink if bent that tightly I believe.

1397419611684.jpg

IMG_20140414_135638.jpg

ALSO: I snapped the plastic tube off the part that connects between the hose in question.

I need this too! I'll check real quick online, but I could only find the larger bypass hose on parts sites.

On the FSM photo, the plastic piece would be between the (right) end of the highlighted hose and the bypass tube.

It is absent in the FSM snapshot.

The broken plastic stem connects to the bypass tube.

Any advice or links would greatly help!

~Please and thanks!

-Sam

IMG_20140419_181533.jpg

IMG_20140419_181545.jpg

IMG_20140419_181549.jpg

IMG_20140419_181557.jpg

IMG_20140419_181607.jpg

IMG_20140419_181613.jpg

The broken plastic piece is a thermostat that controls the carb base temperature.

I would want that piece intact if I had a carbed car.

Subaru 41720 7010 about $25 brand new or widely available used.

Proper hoses are pretty cheap from them too.($10 range)

For 84 Hitachis you want

8076 06102-bent one to thermostat

8076 06062-pass. side one

8076 15021- water pump one

I`ve used fuel injection hose as a subsitute for coolant hoses myself,but,it is not a great idea as the hose is made to resist fuel corrosion,not coolant corrosion.

Sometimes it is hard to find equivilents for the metric sized coolant hoses too.

Smaller bypass hoses are all 6mm AFAIK,so 1/4 coolant hose should be OK.

Edited by naru
  • Like 1

That's really helpful! Are these u iversal part numbers? I'm assuming dealer parts are nonexistent.

And quarter inch tube would be 6.35mm so it could work.

I'm ready to order, was about to take user advice of removing the hose completely.

Thanks

The broken plastic piece is a thermostat that controls the carb base temperature.

I would want that piece intact if I had a carbed car.

Subaru 41720 7010 about $25 brand new or widely available used.

Proper hoses are pretty cheap from them too.($10 range)

For 84 Hitachis you want

8076 06102-bent one to thermostat

8076 06062-pass. side one

8076 15021- water pump one

I`ve used fuel injection hose as a subsitute for coolant hoses myself,but,it is not a great idea as the hose is made to resist fuel corrosion,not coolant corrosion.

Sometimes it is hard to find equivilents for the metric sized coolant hoses too.

Smaller bypass hoses are all 6mm AFAIK,so 1/4 coolant hose should be OK.

• Like 1

I called my dealer, Naru and the rest of you are awesome!!!

Of all three bypass hoses, both the very thin ones were available.

Ordered the one I need and the other to prevent a future leak, for $11.57 each.

The thermostat part is not available at any of the US warehouses, the rep even checked with Japan, a go to for customers from time to time apparently.

No dice, all stocks dry.

I'll check online for one.

Again, thanks so much!

Edited by SnatchedHatch

• 1 year later...