Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Frame Bent?

So I have a 86 gl10 wagon and just started getting around to messing with it, and like an idiot last weekend I was texting and driving [i know] and jumped over a curb and hit a tree and busted my beautiful wagon all up. Its sitting in front of my house now and I don't know if it's salvageable.

Can you tell from the pics if my frame is bent? The roof has a link and the passenger door is inoperable. I can get it to open but it's not easy. Please let me know if you think this is worth getting the body work done to the point of simply allowing me to do the suspension repairs and have it drive straight.

I can text someone pics? Don't know how to post them!

Anything is possible. Just depends on how much time, money, desire and welding rod you want (or have) to spend. I would likely not try to fix that, but only you can decide if you have the will and resources and talent to save it. 

Sorry for your loss...

John

• Like 1

totaled.......for all but a redneck wheeler....it's a shame too that looks like a nice car.....I am assuming the front Pug wheel was destroyed?

Put your damn phone down.....consider this a warning sign from the universe before you kill someone.

Glad you're ok.

Wow texting claims another victim.......man......ok I'm sure you have been beat up by everybody you know so I won't go there:)

I do believe she's a done deal by the looks of the under dash that popped out and your roof is tweaked the internal damage is probably worse than it looks, looks like a sweet parts vehicle:) get another one and pick it to the bone and make another sweet ride:)

Sucks you had to learn the hard way but at least it was a tree and you didn't get hurt good luck:)

Disco.

Edited by Discombobulated

Yeah guys thanks for the comments. Lesson learned for sure and everyone of you has a right to speak your mind to me. No excuses from me. It was a bonehead move and I am very lucky that I didn't do much worse.

• Like 1

that floor separation is weird.  i've fixed a bunch of wrecked subarus and have never seen that.

doesn't look like a big deal to me just to get it back on the road for a daily driver. replace a fender and some suspension, bang some stuff back into shape and you're back in business.  it's hard to tell how much suspension is banged up of course but i wouldn't throw it away at first sight.

www.car-part.com

Edited by grossgary

Ok, before I give I'm and scrap this thing to get it out of my street, can someone explain what exactly constitutes as the frame? I know the firewall is pushed in and what not, and the control arm is bent in, but the part that the control arm is attached to looks fine? I don't care if the cosmetics aren't pretty, but is there a way to redneck measure the frame once I identify what the frame actually is?

I'm not really a car guy, just learning here, but I love this car and this accord that I got in the meantime isn't me.

You could possibly fix the firewall as it's only on the side.

The killer is that the roof is kinked, which means the windscreen frame, the floor up & the roof to the B pillar are now twisted.

So now the right chassis rail through the engine bay will now not be parallel with the left side.

You will forever be in a pain of hurt with not getting the wheels aligned, wearing them unevenly, wheel bearings, all kinds of problems.

If a half million dollar supercar had a roof kink, and that was the only damage, an insurance company would write it off cos its just not fixable properly without replacing or straightening half the panels of the car after its been pretty much fully disassembled.

keep it as an off road basher if you want, but on-road, forget it.

Damn Wagonist, that's what I was looking for, and not at all what I wanted to hear. Thanks a ton for the input. I'm gonna have to keep my eyes peeled for another one of these beauties to become available and be ready when it does, because in the 3 or so months I had it, I truly fell on love with it. If anyone wants anything off of it, shoot me a message, and if I end up taking it apart I might have something you need. I appreciate everyone's help.