Ultimate Subaru Message Board

We got a great deal on a sweet running, good looking '95 Legacy wagon; it's great--except for the front seats. They're, literally, a pain, a pain-in-the-rump roast (for me) and -in-the-hip (for my wife.) Anybody out there swapped out their Subee-issue seats for something--after-market? junkyard?--kinder and gentler to human anatomy? And, if so, what problems did you encounter?

Pretty much any subaru sear from any legacy, forester, or impreza will bolt in without too much trouble. Most though when fitted in a second gen legacy will raise the seating position. Not a problem if you're 5'11" 170lb like me, but a larger bodied person might have difficulty fitting under the steering wheel.

Thanks 86Bratman and Shawn. Bratman, how'd you know I'm a chub? Hah. And thanks for making that good point. All i really need is for the back of the seat to sit up straighter. The way Subaru made this seat, leaning so far back, you could go to sleep driving down the road. Not that that's the only problem. But, I can take care of the downward slope of the seat-bottom with a wedge cushion. No problem. But it's that "relaxing" seat-back that's hard to fix and why I wondered about retrofitting. We're actually thinking of getting rid of this vehicle because of that. Any thoughts about how to modify the settings on the Subaru-issued seat so it doesn't "recline?" 

I am not aware of anything after market.

Like you my 99 OBW driver's seat was shot. The foam rubber was so compressed, that it felt like I was riding on a cowboy" buck board wagon.

If you have a wrecking yard or two nearby that has Subies, then go there. Try to find a Subie from 95-99. If you are lucky, you might find leather seats. They are great, very comfortable. Another approach, is to buy a couple of seats that have good padding. If seat color doesn't match your car's interior, no problem, just take the seats apart to harvest the good foam rubber inside the seat You can use seat foam from a right front seat to swap into the driver's seat. It is not hard work to swap in replacement foam. Use nylon cable ties as replacement for the metal ties tie down the cloth or leather seat.

The 2.2 litre motor in your '95 is legendary for its reliability and smoothness. Just keep the oil changed, and the motor is easily good for 300K+ miles.

Enjoy your new 95, and hopefully better seats.

i also have a 95 Lego L with bad seats - I can totally relate to Roosters comment about "buckboards" LOL

going to be swapping in the seats from my old 90 Lego LS wagon - higher end car for its day, nicer seats - just havent had a chance to do it yet - weather has been kind of unpredictable here.

i also have a 95 Lego L with bad seats - I can totally relate to Roosters comment about "buckboards" LOL

going to be swapping in the seats from my old 90 Lego LS wagon - higher end car for its day, nicer seats - just havent had a chance to do it yet - weather has been kind of unpredictable here.

I had a 91 leggie wagon with the mouse fur cloth seats, that were comfortable. Those seats from the 90-94 Leggies were made differently, and IMO, better with springs in the seat that flexed to a higher degree then the 95 and later model seats. Recommend you check the mounting bolt lay out to see if they will easily bolt in. Also, you will prolly need to swap in the seat belt receiver clasp from your current seats.