Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 98 Legacy Outback (2.5 L) and have been having a problem with it running hot. It has yet to actually overheat, but just runs way hot. Essentially the problem usually occurs after driving for atleast 30 minutes, but sometimes sooner. When the car starts to act up the temp gauge needle will slowly climb up to near the top of the range over a five second period. Then, sometimes right away, sometimes after several seconds, and sometimes not until I get weary and pull over and shut it off, the needle will fall back down to normal over a 2 to 5 second time frame. I thought it was a thermostat I changed it and then took it out all together and I continue to have the problem. Any idea what it could be. The three mechanics I took it too think it is possibly the a head gasket leak but they won't stake any money on it. I thought it could also possibly be the water pump since just before it happens I tend to lose heat in the vents and then just as the needle begins to fall to return to normal the heat comes back on hotter than normal (can't hold hand in front of vent). Any experience with similar problems, suggestions, etc. would be welcomed

Look for oil and or air bubbles coming to the top of your coolant recovery tank when its hot. Make sure the coolant is drawn back into the radiator when the engine is cool. If it doesn't do this is its a HG. Make sure you have all of the air out of the collant system. Very slow fill when you add coolant with the bleed screw out. I also like to add a coolant flush Tee to my heater line to let the air excape there. Good Luck

Should I tell him or you? Dude, join the club, you most likely have a leaky headgasket. Bite the bullet, change the water pump, timing belt, head gasket, thermostat and drive on for another 100k.

sorry,

tdog

Classic Phase I head gasket failure symptoms. As mentioned, look for bubbles in the coolant expansion tank. The "oil" is a residue from exhaust gases pushing out thru the coolant.

Commuter