Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front Axle boot replacement, how to know if CV joint is bad?

Hi, just bought a Second Generation 1988 Subaru GL 3 door hatchback with the EA 81 engine, dual transmission (4 hi, 4 lo), 4 speed manual transmission. There had been alot of work done to this car about 6-8 years ago (with receipts), and it runs great. When we were changing the spark plugs though, we noticed the passenger front axle inner boot was torn, and we could see where some grease had sprayed out.

The axles had been replaced in 2006 along with the wheel bearings and inner tie rods. I'm totally new to subarus and don't know anything about them yet, and just got my first repair manual in the mail (Haynes 1600 & 1800, 1980-1989 years)

My question is, can I just replace the inner boot, and how do I know if the CV joint or anything else has been damaged? I just bought this car a few weeks ago, so I don't know exactly how long the boot has been torn. It's running really smooth, no noticeable vibrations, clicking sounds, etc. If that's the case, is it recommended to get an OEM boot from Subaru? I've read bad things about aftermarket boots (dorman, etc).

I already found and bookmarked the axle rebuild post, I don't have a shop though, and live in an apartment complex. Plus I'm trying to get this fixed ASAP so that hopefully only the boot needs to be replaced. I don't want to give it the chance to damage anything else, if it hasn't already.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be helpful, thanks!

Edited by 88SubaruGL

If there is no noise or vibration chances are very good there is nothing else wrong.  I would just replace the boot.  Boot kits are cheap and easy to do.  I don't know of special problems with any specific boot kits so I would think most any from reputable parts dealers would do just fine.