Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wiring harness connector questions

Hello, I have several harness connections that I cannot find mates to after I reinstalled my dash. 

Need help identifying what they are, and if they should be connected to something or if they weren't to begin with....

had it apart long enough to not be 100% sure.

1988 GL Wagon 4WD D/R 5spd, no power door locks, no sunroof.

A: Passenger side, tan plug that was behind the kick panel.

DSCN1250_zps46251d7e.jpg

B: Two-spade connector on group of connectors to the steering wheel and ignition harness

DSCN1252_zps0d077c77.jpg

C, D, and E: Drivers side near and behind fuse box area. I know one or more of these are some sort of test plug, but I thought at least one of them was supposed to have a mate that you plug up to for diagnostics--no mates for any of the three.

DSCN1254_zpsdb00bb7c.jpg

Thanks for any help you may offer.

A: This is were the Power window cord would hook in.

B: VSS tap for optional cruise???

C: If it has 12v....Additional power source for Optional Cruise.....if you don't have cruise leave it unhooked........It might also be the EGR reset connector....

D: Clutch switch
E:   Not sure......wire colors remind me of blower motor...but that's in the wrong area.

A: This is were the Power window cord would hook in.

B: VSS tap for optional cruise???

C: If it has 12v....Additional power source for Optional Cruise.....if you don't have cruise leave it unhooked........It might also be the EGR reset connector....

D: Clutch switch

E:   Not sure......wire colors remind me of blower motor...but that's in the wrong area.

D: would explain why I was accidentally able to bump the starter and have the car jump because it was in gear, right before I had the dash torn out.

Problem: Cannot, for the life of me, find where D plugs in!!! Help? The end I show in the picture terminates into the ECU harness about five inches from the ECU. There is NO switch of any kind on or near the clutch pedal assembly.

EDIT: ....apparently, the pre-1990 Subarus with M/T were not equipped with a clutch switch? Makes sense from an I'm-4wheelin-and-stalled-in-the-mud point of view, I guess.

Edited by SmashedGlass

A: not the power windows, that's a 3 pin pink coloured plug with 2 wires, and looks to be already plugged in. Trying to think what it is, but I need to think left side :P

B: got no idea

C: is for the A/C system to plug into so that the EFI ECU knows to increase the idle

D: not sure if it plugs into anything, but the black/red wire is the EFI system power (comes off the ECU relay)

E: was thinking the blower motor also. Rear wiper switch?

A: not the power windows, that's a 3 pin pink coloured plug with 2 wires, and looks to be already plugged in. Trying to think what it is, but I need to think left side :P

B: got no idea

C: is for the A/C system to plug into so that the EFI ECU knows to increase the idle

D: not sure if it plugs into anything, but the black/red wire is the EFI system power (comes off the ECU relay)

E: was thinking the blower motor also. Rear wiper switch?

A is for the power window cord......it's not already plugged in he's not got power windows.....it's an usused connector.

C is definately not for A/C.....there are no random 1 wire connectors for A/C

Red/Black wire in D connector is not from Ig. realy either.

My info is based on descriptions adn locations from the 88 FSM........down to the colors and pin #s   I am sure what I've started is accurate.

I do think this car has or had Dealer install cruise at one point......which would explain B, C, and D as VSS, Power, and Clutch....

I do, indeed, have power windows. Do not believe this car ever had dealer-optioned anything, like cruise, installed. There's no evidence in the engine bay of it having been in there. What I think I've figured out for D by searching the books I have available,  is that the carb'd cars used the same harness, but their clutch switch is above the clutch pedal whereas the m/t F.I. cars have the switch on the transmission. Which is just weird.

Plug 'A'....still no clue. It may very well have not been connected to begin with. It's wire colors do not match to any of the power window system, so...........do not believe that is what it is for. 

I'll just keep my fingers crossed that everything functions when I'm finished.

Edited by SmashedGlass
  • Like 1

I do, indeed, have power windows. Do not believe this car ever had dealer-optioned anything, like cruise, installed. There's no evidence in the engine bay of it having been in there. What I think I've figured out for D by searching the books I have available,  is that the carb'd cars used the same harness, but their clutch switch is above the clutch pedal whereas the m/t F.I. cars have the switch on the transmission. Which is just weird.

Then the power windows were added.  The car would not come factory with power windows but not power locks.

Clutch switch and Neutral switch are 2 different things........not connected.......Your thoughts about carbed/FI switches is not accurate.

Here is more research....my revised findings very conclusive.....

A) Is for the power window relay...it should have a round relay there......Connector P14 of the FSM with all excact wire colors from 88 FSM, section 6-3 page 25 and 131

working on the rest now....will post soon.

Smashed glass can you tell me the wire colors in each plug....Between the Florida sun and Crappy screen resolution I am not sure what colors I'm seeing.

specifically B,C, and D.

If C wire color is LightGreen/red it is to supply power to the Optional Cruise main switch.

If D wire colors are Lightgreen/yellow and Black  (with black having continuity to ground) it is definately the clutch switch....Listed in the forward harness of all cars.....equiped w/cruise or not.....

E is the stumper for me......Is there any possible chance that it's supposed to be in antoher area?  I see it's wrapped somewhat seperately.

Also what is the bundle underneath E that runs up toward the wheel?  that looks not so factory from that angle.

Trying hard to help I love these mystery plug challenges I will remember every single one some day.

A colors: Green/White, Green, Red, Black ----- located at A pillar passenger ® footwell

B colors: White/Red, Yellow/Black ---- located in steering harness

C colors: Light Green/Red ---- located behind and to right of fuse box

D colors: Yellow/Green, Black/Red ---- ^^^same

E colors: Blue/White, Blue, Blue/Red, Green ---- ^^^same

A is definitely not for the power windows. The wire colors do not match what my refs state. That relay (which is a square Mitsuba relay) is co-located with the power window control box and circuit breaker, which are grouped behind the passenger seat along the floor, just ahead of the B pillar.

I'm leaning toward you being correct on the ones that were for optional cruise control (not installed on mine), but "D".....there is no switch mounted to or above the clutch pedal arm (as on the brake pedal arm, for the brake light switch). So I don't believe, now, that mine was equipped with one. I came across some other older posts where people mentioned they've always been able to start their 3G in gear and without clutching.

**the bundle you see under the column that looks janky is from when this car had an interlock device installed is all. It has since been removed, but the taps for the two signal wires were left on the wires.

Edited by SmashedGlass

A is for the power window cord......it's not already plugged in he's not got power windows.....it's an usused connector.

C is definately not for A/C.....there are no random 1 wire connectors for A/C

Red/Black wire in D connector is not from Ig. realy either.

My info is based on descriptions adn locations from the 88 FSM........down to the colors and pin #s   I am sure what I've started is accurate.

I do think this car has or had Dealer install cruise at one point......which would explain B, C, and D as VSS, Power, and Clutch....

A: I can get a photo of the pink plug for the power windows if you wish. You can see the loom running along the floor. It's separate from the main harness (which is why it's easily added to a car like in this case. As has been said, power windows didn't come on models without power door locks. This is still on the RHS for RHD models.

C: It hasn't been clarified whether this car is carb or EFI. If it's carb, then this one plug would be spare because its meant to connect the EFI to the aircon wiring. I was confused about this plug too when I converted my carb 88 to MPFI. Tho all Aus cars had aircon dealer fitted, not factory fitted. The aircon wiring is completely separate and installed at the dealer. Not sure how this was for USDM.

If Subaru didn't install the cruise, then they wouldn't have bothered installing the switch above the clutch pedal, nor the 2nd brake switch. Would've just left the rubber plug in the hole instead.

I've butchered the loom from an 85 wreck to install the cruise & power windows into a 92 model. So who's to know what previous owners have done...

A: I can get a photo of the pink plug for the power windows if you wish. You can see the loom running along the floor. It's separate from the main harness (which is why it's easily added to a car like in this case. As has been said, power windows didn't come on models without power door locks. This is still on the RHS for RHD models.

C: It hasn't been clarified whether this car is carb or EFI. If it's carb, then this one plug would be spare because its meant to connect the EFI to the aircon wiring. I was confused about this plug too when I converted my carb 88 to MPFI. Tho all Aus cars had aircon dealer fitted, not factory fitted. The aircon wiring is completely separate and installed at the dealer. Not sure how this was for USDM.

If Subaru didn't install the cruise, then they wouldn't have bothered installing the switch above the clutch pedal, nor the 2nd brake switch. Would've just left the rubber plug in the hole instead.

I've butchered the loom from an 85 wreck to install the cruise & power windows into a 92 model. So who's to know what previous owners have done...

A is what I said......It's were the Power window relay is.  The connector is not pink**(correction it is) here in the US.  But this is a different one right next to it,brown....sunfaded he's calling it tan.  You info is for AUSDM and may be correct for there.....But "A" in this post I am absolutley %100 positive......FSM ID's the location and wire colors excactly for 88.  Car would be SPFI....we got no Carbs after 87.\

Clutch swtich wiring is in all cars the switch itself is not.  Also ID'ed in the FSM down to connector color and pins.

Edited by Gloyale

....but I have found my power window relay, and it is plugged in. If this is a 'dealer installed' setup, then it's damn clean, and so is every other one I've seen. Have yet to find one in a yard with power door locks (when I was still in CO) but 90% of them did have power windows. Matter of fact, I've only seen manual windows on DL's.

This is what the neatly packaged ctrl unit, relay, and circ breaker look like on mine:

DSCN1256_zps8e6f4ba9.jpg

Okay.....scratchin my head over "A"

I am pouring over FACTORY FSM so I have the best info out there.

What I find is.......I was incorrect obviously about were the relay goes.....

But indeed that connector is related to the power window cord.....

88 FSM shows a picture of a connector, labeled R12 in the picture. that looks like it could be our guy "A"...But the matching chart SKIPS from R11 to R13..?!?

Further....R11 is said to connect to  "P2 Center wiring harness or power window main harness <->rear wiring harness" That's the word for word.

Now....I look for the same connector in the 87 FSM.....and there IS and R12 listed in the chart.....

From the FSM.

R11 4 pole brown connects to "center wiring harness"------(no matching pin noted)?

R12 4 pole brown connects to P2  "power window main harness"

So.....what the heck????  No listing for the connector in 88 and P2 hooks to the other one????

Car would be SPFI....we got no Carbs after 87.  

Really? Well I learnt something new today. Always thought that SPFI was just a glorified carb, but I suppose that you can better control the emissions on an EFI car, even if its a basic system.

Aus didn't get NA MPFI in the sedans or wagons until 89 (and then only until 90), only in the Vortex (XT) before that. And no turbo MPFI after 87.

A: I just figured this out.

Tan plug with 4 wires is for the push button 4wd (or centre diff diff).

Red wire is the power to the gearstick switch

2 green wires are for the 2 switched wires from the gearstick

black is earth

There should be a spare round plug near the left strut tower. Check for continuity on the green wires to this plug.

Kind of a bit surprised its on that side of the car. Means the wires go across the firewall.

Our plug like that is also on the passenger side, but this is the left side for us, and this spare plug is beside our wiper motor (also on the left side).

Those things are switched, but the push button 4wd solenoids are still on the left strut tower

Edited by wagonist

A: I just figured this out.

Tan plug with 4 wires is for the push button 4wd (or centre diff diff).

Red wire is the power to the gearstick switch

2 green wires are for the 2 switched wires from the gearstick

black is earth

Nah.....this car is D/R with a lever....no button.

And the button is a 3 pole switch.

If he had a pushbutton it would connect to a 3 pole blue connector.  There is no ground in the pushbutton connector.

Nah.....this car is D/R with a lever....no button.

And the button is a 3 pole switch.

If he had a pushbutton it would connect to a 3 pole blue connector.  There is no ground in the pushbutton connector.

That's at the gearstick end. Under the dash its a 4 pin tan plug.

Well at least it is on my car :P

Every car I've seen in Aus has this extra bit of wiring in the loom (cos its a spare plug near our wiper motor), even tho we only got single range 4wd in 85 & 86, and never the dual range with centr diff lock...

I'll get a pick of the wiring I've got when it's light again. It's not fitted to the car yet.

On mine, the pink plug was for door speakers...

John

That'll be a 2 pin pink plug with 2 wires.

Hence the reason Subaru made the power windows wiring a 3 pin pink plug, but with only 2 wires in it. So it couldn't be plugged into the wrong place.

Plus, the door speaker wiring hangs off the dahsboard loom, not the body loom.

That's at the gearstick end. Under the dash its a 4 pin tan plug.

Well at least it is on my car :P

IT is NOT for the pushbutton.

The pushbutton switch is 3 pins and DOES NOT HAVE A BLACK WIRE IN IT.

Okay.....scratchin my head over "A"

I am pouring over FACTORY FSM so I have the best info out there.

What I find is.......I was incorrect obviously about were the relay goes.....

But indeed that connector is related to the power window cord.....

88 FSM shows a picture of a connector, labeled R12 in the picture. that looks like it could be our guy "A"...But the matching chart SKIPS from R11 to R13..?!?

Further....R11 is said to connect to  "P2 Center wiring harness or power window main harness <->rear wiring harness" That's the word for word.

Now....I look for the same connector in the 87 FSM.....and there IS and R12 listed in the chart.....

From the FSM.

R11 4 pole brown connects to "center wiring harness"------(no matching pin noted)?

R12 4 pole brown connects to P2  "power window main harness"

So.....what the heck????  No listing for the connector in 88 and P2 hooks to the other one????

It's this......Mystery R11 connector.......to "center wiring harness".........think it's not connected to anything for your application