Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm in no position to do anything but speculate.

I'd be concerned that it may have lower impedance and could stress coils.

I'd have some concerns that it could interfere with 'swirl patterns' or other combustion chamber fluid dynamics.

I'd be concerned it may be more prone to collecting carbon deposits.

But, if a manufacturer says they've tested and approved it for use - it wouldn't frighten me away, just comes down to price/longevity i guess.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Yeah I was skeptic of em & had never heard of the brand so I thought I'd ask what ya'll thoughts were. Didn't ever think to try some out in my car, much too risky.

Edited by 88coupe

I would give them a try if i could find them anywhere. I had Bosch plugs in my Subaru before and it ran fine. NGK appear to be the best in my experience though.  I would never put a Champion plug in anything I have.

Recently picked up a 93 Legacy for freeway commuting & had a few bugs to work out. Main thing was when you started it up in the morning the idle would be pretty high and it would backfire(out of intake) until warmed up then it ran fine. Turns out the timing belt jumped some teeth so was off, Surprised it even would start let alone run & quite well once warm for timing being so far off. Well before USMB members gave a push in right direction I was checking simple stuff, I checked the plugs & were not what I was expecting, Bosch 4 ground platinum's. Right away I thought that was the problem cause MOST all Subaru owners stick with OEM NGK Plugs and say they're the best for Subaru's. Immediately went to NAPA got new NGK's and well it fix the backfiring problem it did run much nicer then with BOSCH 4 Platinum's. Im not to eager to use anything but Standard NGK's with our Subaru's.

Edited by 88coupe

The flame propagation inside the cylinder would be very different using that spark. Just like the headlight bulbs, the cylinders are usually designed to have the flame originating at one very specific point

Electricity is lazy. It takes the path of least resistance. So all those points, the spark is only going to jump ONE of them.

Not sure what kind of power source they have for the video. I can tell you that you will never get spark to jump 8 separate gaps on a spark plug all at the same time. Possibly if you have some serious high amperage running through it, and that would make it overheat.

• Like 1

Recently picked up a 93 Legacy for freeway commuting & had a few bugs to work out. Main thing was when you started it up in the morning the idle would be pretty high and it would backfire(out of intake) until warmed up then it ran fine. Turns out the timing belt jumped some teeth so was off, Surprised it even would start let alone run & quite well once warm for timing being so far off. Well before USMB members gave a push in right direction I was checking simple stuff, I checked the plugs & were not what I was expecting, Bosch 4 ground platinum's. Right away I thought that was the problem cause MOST all Subaru owners stick with OEM NGK Plugs and say they're the best for Subaru's. Immediately went to NAPA got new NGK's and well it fix the backfiring problem it did run much nicer then with BOSCH 4 Platinum's. Im not to eager to use anything but Standard NGK's with our Subaru's.

Didn't have the right plug wires to run platinum spark plugs.