Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I Have a 2003 Subaru Baja 2.5 litre Automatic.That suddenly stopped running when I was pulling into a parking lot and is giving me a P0122 error code (Throttle position sensor circuit low input).

It will sometimes start idle high for a few minutes then start to idle rough and die.

I replaced the throttle position sensor same thing happens.

While adjusting the position sensor with the key in the ignition on position I hear a humming coming from underneath car. and when I attempt to start it will flash The AT oil temp light on dash.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks, Badchicken425

I reset the ecu and got it started it idled rough then smoothed out after time but I could not accelerate otherwise it would die.

the error code and transmission light have now vanished 

Edited by badchicken425

TPS problems are rare, and are usually due to a bad connection or poor ground rather than a failed TPS. You need a voltmeter to adjust the TPS so the ECU gets the correct voltage signal with the throttle closed. Adjust so you have 0.50-0.55V on the center pin.

If that doesnt fix it you may have a poor connection in one of the three large connectors on the bell-housing. Or a poor ECU ground to the intake manifold.

Symptoms also rhyme with low fuel pressure. 00-04 have an issue with a cap on the fuel pump assembly. It cracks and bleeds fuel pressure back into the tank.

Get the TPS adjusted first and reset the ECU again. Then pull the pump assembly and inspect if that doesn't take care of it.

• Like 1

Then that would definitely be part of the problem, if not the whole thing.

There is a replacement cap out there. If you search here there is a thread with a link.

The replacement cap is a different design but fits the same and fixes the problem.

yes, you can even see the o-ring displaced.

you need a metric 928 (IIRC) Viton o-ring, and the cap and filter (throw the filter away) for -like maybe-an 04 or 05 Forester.

a W0133-1617990

41tcnJ7Nz-L.jpg

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/WC/18023-01151841.html?utm_content=YN&utm_term=2004+Subaru+Outback+Fuel+Filter+NPN+W0133-1617990+04+Subaru+Fuel+Filter&fp=pp&gbm=a&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&gclid=CJKXitixjL4CFTIV7AodoyQAgw

or from amazon; http://www.amazon.com/NPN-W0133-1617990-NPN-Fuel-Filter/dp/B005FEYQ10/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399004269&sr=8-2&keywords=2004+subaru+fuel+filter+W0133

there is a dimple/bump on the large tab, don't force it past or it may bend if it rides-up on the lug.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan