Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alternative intercooler locations for my 90?

Okay ya'll, let me just first say, I'm not trying to revolutionize intercooler locations but looking at the car today in prepping for turbo motor, I started thinking..

1) if I want to keep the a/c, theres like NO room for a front mount unless from what I see, I take off the front bumper beam all together. 

2) Top mount can lead to heatsoak, which could be a big problem for my autoX desires. 

So this is what I was thinking, how about installing a hood scoop the the front part of the passenger side hood? Like right where the stock n/a air box would sit? Theres no motor sitting under it to heatsaok too bad, and there is plenty of space. The scoop would be off center of course but I don't really care. I am really looking to do a small intercooler which will support no more than like 250whp. Spool is important too so thats also why I want a smaller one.

The other two ideas were mounting it near the bottom of the engine with a up scoop or since my drivers side fender is so busted anyway, just cutting a scoop there?

I'd appreciate your opinions.

Edited by Hinano

I have seen factory VW turbo setups with a small intercooler mounted by the RF tire in the front fender area. I don't see any reason why your idea wouldn't work just fine too as long as you do the homework first. I think this was on a Turbo Beetle I put an engine in now that I think of it. Perhaps you can look at pics of one of those for ideas.

Edited by Crazyeights

Yep all the 1.8 l turbo vws and audis used a side mount intercooler. The tt 225 had 2 of them one in each fenderwell connected by a crossover pipe its easy to get duct work to push air thru them and they are small enough to fit easily.

• Like 1