Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I would like to replace my carpet in my 2006 outback 172,000 miles ;)

The fitted carpets are too pricey

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on type of carpets I could use, and techniques

I'm not looking for a factory finish, just fresh shag

I replaced the carpet on a van I had years ago

It was a cinch, cut to fit, spray adhesive, molded nicely, not as many contours as my car

Any thoughts appreciated

several options if the carpet does not have holes,

remove the front seats and use a hand held shampooer,

or remove it entirely and take it to a car wash and use the power spray option,

or my favorite,

remove it,

buy the largest plastic storage tub you can find,

buy 5 - 8 bottles of black RITZ dye,

fold up the carpet and put it ans the dye with enough water to cover in the tub.

you will likely have to remove the carpet after a day, refold and then resoak for a day.

mine looked a little splotchy, tie-dyed, after the first day,

but much better after the refold and re-soak.

although a little splotchy still.

but once installed you can't tell.

(tip: do not pour out the dye batch until you have the carpet installed. i also dyed some floor mats.)

if the carpet has holes,

buy a used one and clean and or dye it.

works great.

Edited by johnceggleston

Not to hijack this thread but Im also thinking about doing something with my carpet b/c it's filthy with stains, dog hair, dirt and also ripped up quite a bit...anyone ever just taken the carpet out completely and "rhino lined" the floors? Ive heard of people doing this in Jeeps; wondering what the outcome would be in a subie.

And to add to this thread...ive been to junk yards and seen parts cars with really nice carpet so maybe check your local scrap yards for your exact vehicle and see what the interior looks like.

Not to hijack this thread but Im also thinking about doing something with my carpet b/c it's filthy with stains, dog hair, dirt and also ripped up quite a bit...anyone ever just taken the carpet out completely and "rhino lined" the floors? Ive heard of people doing this in Jeeps; wondering what the outcome would be in a subie.

And to add to this thread...ive been to junk yards and seen parts cars with really nice carpet so maybe check your local scrap yards for your exact vehicle and see what the interior looks like.

The outcome will probably be insane amounts of noise :) The heavy padding underneath the carpet is there for a reason...

What I did on my OBW was to wait until a parts car showed up on Craigslist and just replace the whole thing. Usually the cars at the junkyards have had a rough time right before they get there, while I have found some nice stuff on craigslist (or on the ads section of forums like this one). On a minivan I had before I had to replace the headliner and the carpet and spray the whole interior with Odoban (the car belonged to a smoker at some point in it's life). It takes some time to do things correctly, but once you are done you won't regret it.

On most Subaru's they are under a little carpet flap on the body vertical wall coming up from the pan.  One on each side.

I replace the carpet if it's torn or pull and power wash.  Just make sure you let it dry well before you install it.  It's pretty easy to fine good used carpet at the Self Serve yards.

Pull the Seats, the counsel and trim panels and you have the carpet out and cheap.  $30 or so.

Found some used carpet in much better shape

Changed the seats, carpet , and now I might do the door panels

But now when the car is OFF the clock blinks "ACC" repeatedly then "ERR" once

I forgot to disconnect the battery before taking the seats out

Anyone one know what this means???