Ultimate Subaru Message Board

incessant Y pipe rattle fix cost 20 cents

Sheesus, how hard was that ?? Only through discussions about the web to find these Y pipes are double walled, pipe inside pipe (so, I was not getting bigger pipes fitting L Series Y pipe on EA81). Inside pipes can burn out or rot just below flange at head, pipe inside rattles like buggery on acceleartion, some cruise, some backing off, sometimes goes dead quiet. Went dead quiet after I fitted EA82M and then it came back.

This idea came to me. Tried one screw up top first on RHS, then LHS, then lower RHS. 5 cents a self drilling gal screw with 8mm hex head. Tookl mere minutes to do first and go for a drive with more screws in pocket, drill driver beside me.

Jono's 20c fix

DSC06004_zpsc5c8ab47.jpg

• Like 1

I sort of thought it best to screw them in while pipe was hot, hoping the minute expansion while hot does not expand any more or someone behind will cop a puncture :(

I forgot to say that as the screw popped through outer pipe, I could then feel screw drilling into second pipe inside so the thread should be in two pipes. Going to dump a blob of silicone to hold the heads to the pipes

It is like a different car right through the rev range. Thought I was going to have to punk up my pipes a lot more than that before I found the spot :)

I am happy with the cheap'n'cheerful success

• Like 1

ah, ah, the idea of the screws is to draw the inner pipe towards the outr pipe to add some stress or tension to it to keep that rattle at bay. A straight through and across style bolt - besides making it look like Frankenstein would not do the intended job.

no one has asked to see the other side of the rims yet ??

Edited by jono

• 2 weeks later...