Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Have 99 Subaru Legacy, have check engine light on, tested and it is idle air motor, anywhere good I can find a way to clean this out?  Idle ranges different day from 150 to 1200 rpm?  Thanks.

Come to think of it the engine type probably doesn't matter but 99 was a change-over year and it could have two different styles of idle control.

Your IAC should have a large approx. 1" diameter hose coming from the intake tube. Remove the hose from the intake and pull it off the IAC and spray into the IAC with some throttle body cleaner. Use a screwdriver to reach inside and flip the valve back and forth, then spray a little more.

While you're at it, pull the intake tube off the throttle body, pull the throttle plate open and clean the TB bore.

Wait a few minutes for the cleaner to dry before starting the engine.

yah, clean it like he said.

they rarely fail so if you need/want one, just get a used one.  i and others have them lying around.

probably does matter which engine since 99 legacy can have Phase I or Phase II.

Edited by grossgary

It does matter, the ej25d in the 99 outback and gt use the same iacv design as the other phase 1 motors, aside from the turbo variants, the 90/91 manual ej22e, and the ej18 which has the iacv integrated into the throttle body but still controllable by the phase 1 ecus.

Whereas the ej222 in the L, brighton, and 30th anniversary L is phase 2 and not compatible with the older ones at all.

• 2 weeks later...