Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello everyone. I looking at adding a turbo kit to my 97 2.2 Imp.The kit comes with a downpipe. My question is do I need to change the exhaust manifold? I was about to get some EL headers, but need to make sure first. Thanks for any help on this asap.

Kind of a waste of time to put a turbo on that engine since you'll never be able to run more than about 5psi. Compression ratio is just too high.

Per your specific question, yes you will likely have to change the header.

That engine most likely has single port heads though, which means you'll have to have a header custom made.

It can be done with a stock header, but again 5 psi is the limit without some money invested in some better injectors and engine management to control them and the ignition advance. Plenty of people have done what you're looking to do, just not many on this site honestly. Usmb is more of the maintain and enjoy crowd than some of the other subaru forums.

Google subachad up and downpipes to get an idea of what you can do with your stock exhaust manifold.