Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aftermarket stereo install

Hey All!

Started on my stereo install today. I thought maybe I might get by the shallow dash issue since my stereo is a blue tooth player only with no CD option, but alas, still not enough room. 

Anticipating this, I had some 1/2" MDF on hand and made a nifty little spacer. Fits fine, clears the shifter, I think all is going to be well. 

I'll post some pics later. 

John

Don't forget the Shared Ground for Both Left Speakers, and the Other Side's Shared ground for both Right Speakers; you must rewire them to independent ground on each Speaker, in order to avoid problems with the built-in Amplifier.

As far as I know, each Speaker comes wired independently from factory, but there is a place behind the Glove Box, on the Wiring Harness, that the Factory merged the Grounds for each side. You can track down the point and rewire the part from the New Stereo's Plug to the Wiring Harness.

Also don't forget to post Photos. :)

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys!

i got a refurbed JVC from amazon. great price, lots of features. i'll try to post the model and maybe some pics this weekend.

Loyale 2.7 turbo, since i am rehabbing the interior i had the dash out, and the door panels off; i just bit the bullet and ran all new wiring for the speakers, bypassing the stock speaker harness all together.

i will also have to make some custom MDF spacers for the rear door speakers. not a big deal.

just need more time and money! lol

john

• Like 2

Here are some pics of my stereo spacer:

BBF443DC-B70D-4537-9E55-63BE496D7CD1_zps

505A1A44-75A1-4030-93A9-5F75005E0E24_zps

i put a coat of black paint on both the face and spacer last night. hope to do more install work this weekend. not sure what the extra hole in the face was for on the stock stereo face. i may make a filler panel for it, or use it as a storage cubby for cords and the stereo remote.

john

• Like 1

Hmm...your center plate is different than my car then.  The extra opening on mine has a cubby hole below the radio...

Looks good overall brother :-D  Let me know if ya want some help with the wiring, I'd be glad to stop out and work with ya a bit.  Would give me an idea of what I can expect when I replace my stereo in the near future.  Are you updating the speakers too?

Thanks Guys!

yup, updating speakers too. didn't go real high end but they should be adequate for a daily driver. the old ones were some ken woods that the po had duct taped into the doors! lol 

i made some MDF spacers for the rear door speakers last night, as they are too deep for the back doors. i'll post some pics of those later.

john

John, I have that face plate out of my wagon, AND the cubby pocket that fits in that empty slot. Want it?

Wait, maybe I don't.....I'll have to dig it out of the parts bin. AFAIK, my OEM one came out of a 3-door and clips onto the dash, not screws on.

Edited by SmashedGlass

If ya want to get rid of those old Kenwood speakers, let me know :)  I'm in need of something, anything right now just so I can hear my radio.  The stock paper cone speakers are so static-y/crackly that I can't turn the volume up past 1/3 of the way.  Fine for around town driving, but impossible for the highway.  They'd basically be a fill in until I can get my JVC bluetooth head unit and CS-XM 620 speakers.  Perhaps a trade is in order? ;)

Hey John!

Nice work there fella! :popcorn:

Replaced the radio some time ago in my 87 with a Kenwood KDC-MP342U head & Metra kit for Subaru. Metra kit included wiring harness adapter. Didn't have to add any spacers with the short single DIN sized chassis.

Replaced all the door speakers in the wagon using the stock stamped steel mounts, just sheet metal screwed on. Everything fit under the door panels just fine.003-1.jpg004.jpg073.jpg

Found the Metra kit on fleabay but I don't know if they're still available.

Right on :)  I'll offer up that wiper switch in trade if you are interested.  Would rather see someone use it than let it sit and collect dust lol.  As far as the speakers go, anything has to be better than what I currently have :P  I'll throw a 9v battery on the terminals to see if they crackle (if so, they should work).  if not no worries.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained :)

Lets get together tomorrow afternoon if you are in town and I'll take a look at em to see what I can do.  You can have a look at that wiper switch as well and see if you can use it. Give me a call or shoot me a text and we can make a plan

Edited by TheWanderer

Understood :) If ya get a free moment and want to get away to blow off some steam between tests feel free to stop over :)  I'll show ya the new tail lights I slapped in today.  Much better than the old ones :P

Best of luck with the testing, I'm sure you'll do great my friend :D