Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy trans cross reference help needed!

I am getting conflicting reports on the internet, and the two dealers near me say they cannot cross reference with trans numbers, only VINs.

Here's the numbers...

Our 2002 Legacy wagon has TY-754VCBAA....

Trans we have to transplant......TY-754VCDAA

I see my original has 3.90 gearing, but on some sites and charts I see 3.90 and 4.11 for the donor.  Can anyone give me a 100% positive what that trans has?  I do not want to put that in and grenade the rear diff or transmission.  Thanks ahead!

Here are your options, Pull the drain plug and count the teeth on your ring gear and count check against the other one.

I'm assuming you are dealing with a 5 speed the first gen legacy had 4.11 but only in the early years like 89,90,91 after 92 all standards were 3.9 in an N/a legacy, This has been my experience through the transmission games i have played. 

Hope it helps

Cheers R. 

http://www.northursalia.com/techdocs/trannychart/trannychart.pdf

From what I'm seeing there, your car is 3.90 and the trans is 4.11. You can swap in a matching diff, or find another trans.

for your car - any of the 2000+ (Phase II) trans with the same final drive will bolt right in no problem. Ignore the vins. Just find a 3.90 or get a 4.11 diff.

that chart is pretty good,

but it is NOT PERFECT.

i would not trust it completely.

the donor trans,

you are going to have better luck identifying the ratio,

if you know the year, model of the donor car.

from that you can track down the trans number on http://opposedforces.com/parts .

and once you know for sure the year and model,

you can search the diff ring and pinion part numbers.

and there it will list the ratios.

or you can just tell me the year and model of the DONOR trans car and i can likely  tell the ratio.

i am very knowledgeable about trans ratios 95 - 04.

Edited by johnceggleston

According to the pdf you can download here, https://www.dropbox.com/s/ol7go5hj7cgfvwe/TransmissionIDChart_Public-2-1.pdf

They are indeed both 3.90 final drives, and John is correct, it seems the donor is a year or two newer than your existing vehicle.

Anyone interested in the chart feel free to download, it is the most complete and most accurate subaru transmission chart I have found.

• Like 1

an off the cuff guess based on the ID number provided,

the donor trans is 1 -2 years younger than your car,

same ratio.

but that is just a guess.

the ID numbers in the 00 - 04 years were not as consistent as the numbers in the 90s.

year, and model please

Thanks for the help so far, that one chart posted earlier is the one that is giving me the ratio that I do not want, but others are showing it as a 3.90.

In any case, I was told that the donor car was an 02 Legacy L Wagon, but charts are showing that trans as an 03-04.  The guy that sold me the trans was a very nice and knowledgeable mechanic, but as always I like to confirm things myself so I only have me to blame when they go wrong!

Does any later model Legacy L wagon have the 3.90?

According to the pdf you can download here, https://www.dropbox.com/s/ol7go5hj7cgfvwe/TransmissionIDChart_Public-2-1.pdf

They are indeed both 3.90 final drives, and John is correct, it seems the donor is a year or two newer than your existing vehicle.

Anyone interested in the chart feel free to download, it is the most complete and most accurate subaru transmission chart I have found.

Can't download it, where did you source it?

Thanks!

Does any later model Legacy L wagon have the 3.90?

generally speaking, (not guaranteed, so double check,)

ALL legacy L cars with manual trans 00 - 04 have the 3.9 ratio,

this includes brightons, LS? and low end imprezas.

outbacks, GTs foresters generally have the 4.11 ratio.

see a pattern here?

high end imprezas probably are different, idk.

Edited by johnceggleston

Sorry I forgot Dropbox had reduced the number of hits a file can get before it's cut off for a while. I found it a few months ago when I was in a similar situation trying to find the right ratio trans.

Here is a link to the file on another server. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzTxUgzNAbd8cEJjXzN2Znk5djg/edit?usp=docslist_api

No work either, needs to be shared with my Google account to work.  Is that the one from NASIOC?  That's the PDF that tells me what I "want" to hear, it says 3.90 for both!