Ultimate Subaru Message Board

All - I just bought a used 01 legacy sedan auto and a week into it noticed, while driving,  it started sputtering/missing around 3500 rpm - 4500 rpm, as well as emit a high pitch type whistle from, what seems to be the rear of the vehicle/exhaust.  this happens through every gear; 1, 2, 3 - have gone that fast in D.  After the 4500 rpm mark - it smooths out until redline.

it has 150k on it.

AWD

no upgrades.

just had timing belt, water pump, and head gasket replaced before I bought it.  Seems as though it was also done at about 126k miles based on documentation in glove box.

so - did the guy who sold it to me actually do it - or am I a sucker - dont know - at this point - cant care - just need to fix the car and move on.

In park, the car will rev up to red line with no issues - aside form the whistle noise our of the rear end - so, it doesnt appear to be mechanical.  It only makes the noise through that 3500 - 4500 range.

this started up two days ago - ive put about 50 miles on it since - seems to drive fine otherwise until today - check engine light came on.  Last fill up was on Friday-check the cap.

I havent brought it in to check the code yet - just happened on my way home tonight.

Looking for a some guidance on what to check - used forums for my other soobies - seems to be the best place to get straight answers and willingness to figure it out with you.

Thanks for any leads - if you know a reputable mechanic in Omaha, NE area - let me know.

If you're getting a misfire, start with spark plugs and wires. It's a good routine maintenance to do anytime you get a new car. Get the code/codes from your check engine light. Auto zone and other parts chains will read your codes for free. based on the codes, they can point you on what else you may need.

Thanks @AdventureSubaru, got the code today - just 1.  it was a P0341.  Camshaft position sensor range/performance.  replaced the sensor and the light went off - so far, but I am still missing in the range.  Havent done the plugs yet.  thats tomorrow.  The place I bought it from said they just did the head gaskets and timing belt.  The wires and dist look new, although they didnt say that was done.

Heard it could be the gas.  I put in 91 and after the series of misses, added a injector cleaner.  no change.

I appreciate the help.

Ill let you know tomorrow if the plugs and wires made a difference.

Thanks again. 

@ john in KY and nipper - tuned it up - but didnt do the pcv.  need to add that.  runs a lot better - no check engine light in about 4 days.  still doing the soobie shuffle at 35-4500 rpm through the gears(auto).  been running premium and ran cleaner through it.  blew out the entire intake and throttle body with gumout cleaner.  that might have burned a bigger hole in the exhaust.

thinking thats my next step - but not sure thats the root cause.

would the PCV cause the missing at those rpms?  Could the belt not be put on correctly?  what is the best mechanics book to trouble shoot for this car?  if putting an exhaust on it - is there a best of the best - or stick with OEM - have about a $400 budget to get this figured out.  thanks for the help - very much appreciated.  PCV is next - then will wait for instructions.