Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Some history on the car: 
I have a 91 Subaru Legacy 2.2 Automatic with 106.XXX miles. The timing belt was done at 90 thousand miles, along with new spark plugs, and breaks. 

I've had the car for 2 years, bought it with 60 thousand original miles, no problems ever until yesterday. Here is what happened; 

The car was driving fine, all of a sudden it seemed like it was lagging while going up a steep hill. I pushed harder on the gas and the RPMs when up without a reasonable acceleration. I went about a mile and then noticed when I came to a stop that I could not pull out. I thought maybe my car was in neutral, I looked down and it wasn't. I couldn't get it to go forward. I was able to finally ease it with my foot on the floor going about 1 mph. I was on a hill so I pulled over, turned it off. I checked again to make sure I wasn't between neutral and drive. I wasn't and then turned it back on. I was able to pull off and the car drove up the hill but seemed to still kind of lag. I thought I might have heard a sound but wasn't sure. Parked the car, 3 hours later I was able to drive it about 500 feet and then the same thing happened again, not being able to accelerate. I turned it off. Turned it back on and was able to drive 3 blocks to my house even though it seemed like it was lagging. I haven't tried to drive it since. 

Someone said it could be the transmission. I would assume not because why would it work for a little bit after restarting? Maybe a fuel related thing?

I did however drive it in overdrive for probably 6 months, and then take it out of overdrive a couple days ago... Would that do something??

I had a similar problem with my 96 Impreza OBW 2.2 just recently. It would rev up the rpm's but would not accelerate up hills and would lose power. From what your saying I think your on the right track with a possible fuel probelm. Did the vehicle throw a check engine light? Have you checked all your plugs for signs of fouling? I would start with the cheapest things first, like things you can check for free and cheap parts and move up. Check your wires and make sure there is no damage there. When was the last time you changed your pcv valve? Fuel filter?

If rpm's are going up smoothly and its not sputtering or cutting out then its slipping. Pull tranny stick and give it a smell and look at the color. Does it smell burnt or off color? If its slipping, the clutches inside will grip better when they cool off just a bit , when they get hot , they slip even worse. If it is slipping the fluid will smell burnt , not sweet and clean looking like new does.

• 7 months later...