Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Someone talk me out of it - quick!

Subaruist

I have a choice, what should be an easy choice, but there is what other people think....

- Yeah, I know, what other people think is __________.

Here's the choice:

When/as I begin to paint my Brat, one choice is easy. It is mostly white, but becomes mostly Blue - Navy Blue, Royal Blue, and flourescent or metallic blue striping, interior similar.

The other choice os something I did once beforfe but never did the detail...

Where I loved, I had two brats (at a time), and the management did not like me having one in the driveway not being driven.

They tried to get me by saying that is was not in running condition, which was a really bad bet against a subaru!

Then they made issue when I did not keep both registered - that ticked me off because it cost me money.

Then they tried to come up with a new rule that nobody could have two vehicles in a two vehicle driveway, just because of me, and that REALLY ticked me off! - Not a good thing to do, lol....

So When I won my final victory, I painted one brat Day-Glo lime green, kinda like the pic below (not like the brat in the phto, just the paint color, lol)

What I never did was detail it at all...

I have this 'thing' inside me that wants it to be Day-Glo Lime Green, with fine, subtle details that make it look repile/insect like, and then the 8 1/2 foot long whip antennas, would make it look like a giant Aphid !!!

I love this idea, I really, really do! It would be more than unique and cool, it would look just as good on the street as it would out in the mountains off-roading!!!

BUTT....

Would you drive such a vehicle to a job interview, or an important business meeting if the people concerned would likely see you arriving in it ??? - and that is the killer. The thing would be a spectacle to say the least, maybe too much of a spectacle. This would not a car taken out only on special occasions, this would be my main vehicle for almost everything.

Would this look stupid or foolish or just plain silly? - I already feel like that's a dumb question, but the Day-Glo Lime Green in me says no...

post-53036-0-24411400-1399484657_thumb.jpg

The green looks great as a wheeler/show car. But yeah, as something to take you to a job interview and such (depending on the job :lol: ) you may want something a little more subdued as a daily driver. If you ever switch it out and it becomes a weekend vehicle - then I say go for it!

What people think largely depends what kind of business you're in and what kind of business person you are.  Some businesses it won't matter, in others it will.

While assumptions will be made in some respects, in the end - the person makes the car - the car doesn't make the person. You could very well be in business for years and people could learn to love the antics of the vehicle if the person is respectable. And that holds true the other way around too - people could learn to dislike the vehicle because of the antics of the individual associated with it.  Then it becomes a constant negative advertisement.

Not sure what CA is like, while it would turn heads it would also hardly register on many beach scenes.

• Like 1

Why not try plastidip (or whatever it is).  If you hate, just peel it off and be done with it.

Your suggestion would, in fact, work - not just work, but work every bit as well as you may have imagined! - There is only one very small problem...

It would cost about $3,000.00 in plastic tool dip! lol...

- But I love the idea just the same! Just think of the possibilities and the problems it could solve!

- You might not even need weather stripping anymore! lol...

- you could make it more or less in one piece, carefully peel it off in one piece, do with again a different color, and next thing you know, you go into the garage and say:

"Well, I dunno... Should it wear the blue or the red today? - Awe hell, I'll go with stripes this time!"  lol....

Plastidip is around $400 depending on color. That includes EVERYTHING you need except the place to paint. Prep spray, actual gun, and 3-4 gallons of dip.

visit www.dipyourcar.com for more info on plastidip.

Plastidip is around $400 depending on color. That includes EVERYTHING you need except the place to paint. Prep spray, actual gun, and 3-4 gallons of dip.

visit www.dipyourcar.com for more info on plastidip.

Do you realize what you have just done ?!?!?

You have just said it is not only possible, but affordable (more affordable than regular paint ?!?!?) and maybe even easy !?!?

Oh no... I must dis-belive.. I must not dwell on this possibility, no, it just can't be, I shouldn't, I can't - Hmmmmmm.....

- No... What would it look like in just a year of normal driving? 2 years? 3?

I don't think it would work in the long run, it would shrink up or wrinkle or be affected by summer heat and expansion of the metal...

No... It can't work....

Now watch, someone will say they did it, and it was perfect for 10 years, and the best thing they ever did - just watch! lol....

Tons of info on it. They have a forum. People have tried dipping EVERYTHING... Kitchen sinks to boots. Plastidip holds up pretty well from what I've heard. I've seen people go a year with little repairs (yes, you can repair it!!!).

Hardly hear about someone who's disappointed with it. Take time on prep work if you want a very nice finish. Since its a matte color... It'll be sure to bring out dents.

And as a general rule: the more coats of dip, the better.

Read up on it. They've got it down to a science.

Oh for cryin' out loud... I better not check it out... I just don't think I should go down that path.

I am pretty sure from my own dealings with the stuff is that it is entirely vulnerable to gasoline and other solvents, so You would have to do something about the area around the gas port. I will check the sources just to be sure, but I have a bloodhound nose for things like this sometimes, and it says this stuff is just not up to such a task. It is too soft for one thing, but I will check it out, just for morbid curiosity, lol.

I would dip my car. I am not concerned about the appearence of it anyway since it is brown with gold trim and looks like a polished turd. Maybe i can change it up, but i can always go back to its 569 crest brown metallic at any given moment.  It gets me back and forth to work, though. Dual whip antennae FTW.

Everyone needs to stop the pissing matches. If you think theres a issue, please use the Report button to bring it to attention of the mods.

Just what, exactly are you talking about ?!?!?

Nobody here has a problem that I have noticed. Seems like a fun dialog to me...

• Like 1

I would dip my car. I am not concerned about the appearence of it anyway since it is brown with gold trim and looks like a polished turd. Maybe i can change it up, but i can always go back to its 569 crest brown metallic at any given moment.  It gets me back and forth to work, though. Dual whip antennae FTW.

About those antennas, got any bigger/close-up pics you can post - I would like to do something very similar...

Dipping your car is actually more popular than you would think. My stripe on my car is plasti-dipped and its only about 2 coats. It's been on for almost a year now and it hasnt faded or peeled at all. To do a good job on your dip to do a whole car I would price it at about 200 bucks. you can buy a black 5 gallon bucket for about 180. Fill in the rest with the stuff from the can if there is anymore. I'm thinking about doing it to my whole car over the summer. 

Dipping your car is actually more popular than you would think. My stripe on my car is plasti-dipped and its only about 2 coats. It's been on for almost a year now and it hasnt faded or peeled at all. To do a good job on your dip to do a whole car I would price it at about 200 bucks. you can buy a black 5 gallon bucket for about 180. Fill in the rest with the stuff from the can if there is anymore. I'm thinking about doing it to my whole car over the summer. 

I dipped my wheels and it is holding up very well. Did my hood temporarily with ~3 $5 spray cans -large areas should probably be sprayed with a real paint gun.

Ok... this is definitely getting twilight zone.... It sounds too good to be true, and you know what they say about that...

How about I see your plart-dip paint job, and raise 'ya....

How about truck bed liner instead of plasti-dip ? lol....

It would all be plastic, and look just like a toy!