Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ADAPTING A SUBARU LEGACY GT ENG/AUTO-TRANS TO A REGULAR AUTO TRANSS OF AN OUTBACK 2002

OLAFFZ

NEED URGENT HELP:

I GOT A OUTBACK 2003 WITH A BLOWN ENGINE AND BAT AUTO TRANSMISSION/ MY MECHANIC TOLD THAT I COULD ADAPTED THE ENGINE/AUTO TRANS OF A GT MODEL WITH MANOR OR NONE CHANGES, I GOT BOTH ENG/TRANS OF A TOTALED  CAR GT 2003, NOW THAT i PULLED THE THIS ENGINE/TRANS OUT I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT IS NOT POSSIBLE.  

WHAT IS THE TRUE PLEASE, I NEED MY CAR TO MOVED TO BC BY MAY'S END.

THANKS

German

olaffz29@gmail.com

1 4384016530

Out of curiosity I did a little research.  I researched Subaru's parts database website.  You can click on every part in the car - and then click "Interchange" to see what other vehicles use that exact same part.  Overall - every major GT transmission part I found was the same as OBW transmission parts.

If you wanted to check every part and verify, go here:

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b12/type_10/

My best guess is the transmissions are entirely interchangeable.  The main difference in the Legacy GT is the "Sport-Shift" function.  But I'm almost positive that's entirely an electronic capability and not a transmission-specific function.

The inhibitor switches (selector on the transmission) is the same part as other 4 cylinders and 6 cylinders, so "Sport Shift" is not anything mechanical in the transmission as far as I can tell.

I checked Subaru's parts database and the final drive ratios are both 4.44 final drive ratios.

Torque converters, valve bodies, reduction gears, planetary sets, ring and pinions, the complete overhaul gasket kit are all the exact same part and part numbers - so GT transmissions are nothing special and basically the same transmission. I obviously didn't go through every part but I did go through all the big ones - and they're all identical to 2.5 (and often even 3.0 H6) transmission parts.

Most likely it's just some slightly modified code in the transmission computer. 

It might mean you don't have "Sport Shift" mode any more if you use an OBW transmission in a GT.  But who cares about that.

The final test would be to compare wiring at the TCU or trans connectors and see what's different.  More than likely they're identical and the only difference is the TCU.

• Like 1

And just so you know - finding out definitive information on this is going to be extremely difficult, and nearly impossible.  You'll probably have to make a very good educated guess.  Subaru transmission interchanges are tricky business.  4EAT's didn't change much since 1988 4EAT's debuted, and only minor changes are made over the years/decades.  Sifting through which are interchangeable and which are not is tricky - the "interchange" lists Junkyards and Subaru uses are very limited and say transmission "are not" interchangeable even when they are.

Actual interchangeability is very fluid and large in scope - but finding out for sure is tricky.

Thank you very much gent,

It  figures;  the 2 transmissions are the same, all connections look the same as  I was told initially by a Subaru mechanic dealer.  

Since I bought the GT wagon totaled complete I even have the computer of this model and the dash board that also has the "Sport-Shift" mode/

the leather seat etc. All besides the 6 disc radio previously removed by the original owner. Is my own mechanic who is not sure,

I personally  owned another 2003 wagon GT model before, so is a Legacy 2001 manual that I still drive with only 166.k, 

tying to sell  one of the 2.  last summer  I did get much luck with the manual one. so thisis why I know all this.

The 2002 OUTBACK L  wagon with AUTO - transmission  I am  planning on buying has the engine blown, and  is to transfer  the GT motor and Transmission together since I already removed them yesterday in one piece from the GT.

I did try to upload the pictures but it was impossible. sorry English is not my first language

Thanks again so much

German

Edited by OLAFFZ