Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I cannot add gas to a 2009 Impreza (with around 65,000 miles). I have seen dozens of complaints about this issue on different message boards, and of the 41 complaints on the NHTSA site about this vehicle, 5 of them are about this same issue.

When I attempt to pump gas (with the tank less than 1/4 full), the gas simply spews out of the car and lands all over the place.

I have taken it to the dealer, and they say that the canister purge solenoid valve needs to be replaced. They said the part is $140 and the labor is $413.

Before I allow them to continue with this repair, I was wondering if anyone on this board can confirm for me that this will resolve the issue, and if the price quoted sounds resaonable.

Additonally, should there be a check engine light on for this issue? Because in my case, there is not. I am wondering if the lack of a check engine light could signify an issue with the ECM?

Also, since this issue seems to fairly common and well-documented, and it appears the part they want to replace is related to EVAP or emissions (and it is a safety issue due to spewing gas and the possibility of being stranded without being able to add gas), is it possible that Subaru would do a goodwill repair on this? The dealer said no way (they wouldn't even give me loaner!), but do I have any other recourse?

I just find it hard to believe that they would know about this issue which is obviously a defect of the car, and charge the customer to have it repaired.

Any help or insight would be much appreciated.

Unless they've used the wrong name for the valve their diagnosis is incorrect.

The canister purge valve, which is on the engine, does not affect filling with fuel. There are several other valves back near the tank that do, but on such a new car I have a hard time believing any of those have gone bad already.

I would have to look in the FSM on this particular for specifics, but in general there is a small filter in the right rear behind the bumper. The filter has a hose from the evap charcoal canister or from the tank with a large valve. That valve should be open normally to allow fresh air to enter and exit the tank via the charcoal canister and the small filter.

Anywho, the filter is usually round and has a vent hose that leads into the frame. On later models they built the filter into the evap canister, in which case there will usually be a hose leading from the canister into the frame. That hose is the perfect size for spiders and moths and other crawly things to build a best in, and that obstructs airflow through the hose during re-fueling when air needs to be pushed out of the tank.

If you can find the hose, pull the end of it out of the frame and see if something has decided to live in the end of it. Clear the obstruction and it should be good to go. If not, there are some valves that will need to be checked for operation.

• Like 1

my MIL's 2011 Forester has done this twice.

Being handled by a nephew but, supposedly, the dealer is charging $300 for 'some' new part.

hopefully, I will be told what the repair order says.

Her car has very low miles and sits unused a LOT.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 1

Thank you for the reply, Fairtax4me. I have been endessly reading message boards about this seemingly common issue, and I have yet to see anyone say that the cause is the canister purge solenoid valve, so I am happy that you confirmed that it is probably not the issue.

I have called SOA and the representative told me that she needs to call the dealer, but I am hoping that they are able to help. I will post again after I hear from them next week.

• 2 months later...

my MIL's 2011 Forester has done this twice.

Being handled by a nephew but, supposedly, the dealer is charging $300 for 'some' new part.

hopefully, I will be told what the repair order says.

Her car has very low miles and sits unused a LOT.

Her car was in the shop again. they say they were able to fill it. I

went with my BIL this morning to Hiley Subaru in west Fort Worth. It had

been sitting there a coupla days. I followed him the a nearby gas

station. I filmed him attampting to fuel the car. On the lowest volume

part of the locking system it repeatedly clicked off. Drove it back, he

showed them the video, they basically said they can't do anything

withoit the regional guy.

so, kinda disappointing. Spoke a a tech there while waiting around. He

explained where a coupla parts are, he said they had a coupla customers

with spiders and one ladies car hasn't come back after a valve was

replaced. So, maybe know more about what's happening later on. 2 things

come to mind here; the highway trip of 17 miles or so MAY be clearing

the problem such that the dealership isn't guranteed to see it. And,

maybe day-night cycles or some other issue with sitting around is

contributing to the problem.?

The tech i spoke with said the 2 cars he worked on was definitely spider webs/debris.

• 2 months later...

well, I got under my MIL's Forry. There was ZERO evidence of insects on anything. i WISH there WERE spiders involved. I would have had a shot at fixing the car.

I found one small tube from a valve of some type. It was just dangling in fee air. I built a cylinder of aluminum screening and attached is anyway,

Then, I found a large white plastic 'vent'. It's shape actually looks like it would make an ideal home for a bug. It was clean though. I managed to squeeze my hands up there, remove it, and build a screen 'dome' over it. It will never have bugs I can assure you.

So, the car still only accepts fuel at a very low velocity. Lowere than the lowest position on the 'hands free' clip. My MIL has arthritis and cannot trickle fuel in. She shouldn't have to.

So, hoping my BIL can get SOA to get with the dealer and fix this properly. Might involve dropping the tank. This problem has always been present - even going back to when the warranty was in effect. But I'm sure the dealership wants to make certain they get paid.

*sigh*

As for the purge valve, I had accidentally broken off the one on our '98 Legacy. The issue that it caused was hard starting right after I filled up the tank, but so issues with actually filling the tank, so I agree that is not a correct diagnosis of your problem.

• 4 months later...