Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 1999 Forester with 185000 miles . It makes a clunking in the front end after driven and warmed up. My mechanic replaced the gear box fluid with original oil and friction additive.

But it still has a clunk. It's not as bad as it was but still there.

He says the awd clutch pack needs replaced. Thats about $700

So, is there any advantages to say putting a WRX transmission in? Will it mate up to my 2.5? I'm pretty sure I can pick up  low mileage trans out of a wreck for less than $700. Just would like to try and upgrade/open my options up a bit.

If he's charging you $700 to replace the clutch packs, then he is raping you. That's outrageous dealer pricing. If that is definitely the problem, you could just replace the tail stock with one that has good clutches. That's a cheap and even an easy fix.

$700!?! :banghead:

You can probably find someone willing to ship you a good trans tail off of this board for less than $100. There may be a write up on how to swap it on here, or someone knowledgeable and kind. (We have lots of guys and gals on here like that.) would probably be willing to give you the step by step on how to do it yourself. As I recall it's just basic tools and should take maybe an hour even if it's new to you.

Or if you're not one to turn a wrench, shop around and find a shop that isn't gouging you. No way it should cost that much.

Thank you for your input. After the vehicle warms up it acts like a full size truck in four low when turning. And if I could get a tail for it I am sure replacement wouldn't be hard. I do have have some good mechanical abilities.