Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'88 gl wagon stolen and recovered...thief description...

My daily beater, dog car, commuter was stolen from Portland's Barbur Transit Station on Friday while I was at work. Walked around the large parking lots a couple of times thinking - maybe I parked somewhre other than what I remembered. Called a friend for a ride, called the police to report it stolen...wait... wait some more, walk to the spot where I parked to see if there is broken glass on the asphalt - no glass. Friend shows up, police call to take the report over the phone; have a hard time remembering my license plate number - finally get it right and the officer has my car information. As I'm getting into my friend's car, I see my car's roof-rack in the distance poking up behind another car at the opposite lot from where I parked in the morning. Friend and I walk over to the car and it is parked in a weird spot at an angle; interior has my car junk all over the car, 3 doors are unlocked, pop the hood and engine is warm. Call the police back and tell the officer that car has reappeared; officer has me check that my registration hasn't been stolen - registration still in my hidden spot, license plates still on car.  Only items stolen are: a torn windshield sunshade! 2 harbor freight flashlights, a first aid kit, a volvo screwdriver and a $2 pair of plastic sunglasses. Thief left behind a broken pair of eyeglasses...

Car had passenger front door lock punched in. Car started right up. Passenger door still locks with the key.

Thief description:

Stupid - risked a serious beat-down and felony arrest for breaking into and stealing a 26 year old car?

Short - driver's seat was left with the seat fully forward.

Bad eyesight - the prescription glasses left behind are very strong.

Desperate - steal a torn sunshade?

Smelly - my dog car had a new strong odor...

• 8 months later...

I don't get people sometimes . I was out wheeling (94 loyale 5sp D/R) one night with my cousin and I blew a tire so I parked the car we went off in my cousins jeep for about an hour. We came back to the car to find that my windshield was kicked in, the dash was ripped up and face of my stereo was torn out(just the face the deck was still in there) Nothing was stolen except for the my face for my deck . I had an amp under the seat, speaker box with two 15" subs, tools, and other miscellaneous goodies. Who the hell does stuff like that I don't get it.

Edited by Beaudean

lady at work had a honda del sol that was pretty nice.  had a broken window switch which she asked me to come instal the new part on my day off.  tells me at work that I don't need to come fix it cause the car was stolen.  Cops find the car a day or 2 later and give it back to her, with no significant damage and the window switch fixed.

turns out a bum had stolen the car (since the window was cracked open and wouldn't shut) and was sleeping in it.  since it was cold out he put the new switch in so he could roll the window up.  cops caught him and gave her car back in better condition that it was stolen in (never asked about the ignition, probably screwdrivered it)

I don't get people sometimes . I was out wheeling (94 loyale 5sp D/R) one night with my cousin and I blew a tire so I parked the car we went off in my cousins jeep for about an hour. We came back to the car to find that my windshield was kicked in, the dash was ripped up and face of my stereo was torn out(just the face the deck was still in there) Nothing was stolen except for the my face for my deck . I had an amp under the seat, speaker box with two 15" subs, tools, and other miscellaneous goodies. Who the hell does stuff like that I don't get it.

I can believe it.

Grew up in Redmond/Bend, gradiated high school in Redmond(formerly known as R.U. High; Redmond Union High School).

This was back when it was dangerous to be a nerd/geek.

Central Oregon hicks hold a special place in my heart. :wub:

NE