Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Adventure Subaru II - 2000 Legacy Outback - Go anywhere/do anything wagon!

AdventureSubaru

unnamed_zpscsxhffy5.jpg

Purchased the steel that I'll need to fab up a lift for it. Going about 4 inches of body lift and 5 on suspension. Was lucky that the yard had almost all of it in the "used" section so it idn't cost that much.

We took this car to Los Angeles over Easter to visit family. Performed very well. Prior to the trip I put a new Gates timing belt kit & water pump on it as well as a new fuel filter.

Before the lift I'll be putting new NGK plugs and wires since it looks like that job will become more difficult once it's lifted.

I'm curious to see what you end up needing to do in terms of extending various hoses and lines. My wife has asked me to lift her outback (I know. I picked a winner  :D) and because she drives it everyday I'm hoping to have minimal down time. In order to get it done in just 1 or 2 days, I've been dying for a complete list of what you have to do. I'm good on the lift blocks, but I know there will be 100 things I didn't think of if I just dive in.

I would be so grateful if you keep track of what needs to be lengthened (hoses, brake lines, etc.)

• 2 weeks later...

k2_zps4wsvwhvc.jpg

k1_zpsvjkiqobq.jpg

Road tripped to Portland and back to bring home the wife's "new" 2011 Outback. We got a killer deal on it and the options hit everything on her list and then some. (She wanted the sunroof. We didn't even know it had remote start and backup camera until we picked it up!) Wohoo! :banana:

About 1600 miles round trip. No problems from either vehicle. About to turn 230k on mine. Turned 60 on hers on the way home.

Now just trying to find a few days where I can spend some good time in the shop and get lifted.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Getting around to this a bit more now that summer is winding down. A pair of good craigslist finds have this thing looking way better as it awaits the lift. The stock rims are getting tarnished looking and not too bad, but the Michelin tires were getting pretty bald on the front and the rears weren't much better. So I searched for good tire sets and rim sets.

Nabbed a set of 2014 Forester 17 inch rims for $100. Found a full size 17 inch spare from a 2009 about a half hours drive from me. With 5 good rims I found a good used tire shop that was worth driving 4 hours round trip. For $200. I got a set of Goodyear Eagle RSAs at about 80-90% tread and a full size spare mounted and balanced.

DSCN6407_zpsarmxesij.jpg

DSCN6408_zpsti1fflhe.jpg

Swapped the wheel set as soon as I got home.

Before...

DSCN6409_zpsxgidcte9.jpg

After...

DSCN6412_zpsymhagss6.jpg

DSCN6413_zps4wujdrka.jpg

Edited by AdventureSubaru
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

A few weeks ago we took it to Southern California to visit family and take an extended weekend away. Took one afternoon and drove up into the San Gabriel Mountains. Temps were well over 100 degrees. We had me, my wife, baby boy as well as my father and brother in law piled in with tools in the back. Temps stayed normal with only once getting above the halfway mark on an hours drive of mostly steep uphill and air conditioning on. I viewed it as a stress test.

DSCN6425_zpsrn41scmz.jpg

Saw some great views and even found a small creek that was still flowing. Cold spring water kept lots of vegetation and the small canyon held the cooler temperature of the water so it was quite comfy for some light hiking.

DSCN6449_zpsvy6xlm9k.jpg

DSCN6452_zpsgaqeupu5.jpg

DSCN6431_zpsvysfrnl2.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...