Ultimate Subaru Message Board

larger tires for street and off road use

c5h5nino

Good afternoon all,

I have a 1989 Subaru GL wagon (EA82) that I will be lifting 2".  I am looking for recommendations for rims & tires.  I will also be drilling out my hubs to the toyota 6 bolt pattern.  Any favorites for big tires and rims (size, brand, etc) that have the off-road look and feel without sacrificing street handling.  I will most likely be driving to work (20 mi) with this car.  Any input/suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Cost is always king I am not looking to sell my kidneys to fund this build but I understand it will take some coin.

Thanks,

Lewis 

If you are looking for off road looks but want decent street performance your only option is really the General Grabber AT2 in 27x8.5x14.  Pair that with a pair of Peugeot or stock offset rims and you would do ok and wont have to trim much or at all.  You will definitely notice a power loss and possibly some floaty boat handling but you should be ok.  Ran 2" lift and 27s for a couple years and had no issues.

Also check out the Off Road FAQ and Lift/Tire Size threads.

I mean aftermarket or different wheels that retain a close to stock offset.

Negative offset will make the wheel stick out of the wheel well more and while it looks cool it will cause you to have to trim your fenders and hammer your wheel wells, also will accelerate wheel bearing wear.

Stock Subaru wheels have a positive offset which keeps the wheels and tires closer to the inside of the wheel well.

1.jpg

I have used two sets of steel six lug wheels.

1. 14x7 Allied White Spokes from Les Schwab with 3.75" backspacing.

80white8spoke.jpg

2. 15x7 Allied Daytona from Les Schwab with 3.75" backspacing.

51blackdaytona.jpg

• Like 1

BFG all terrains are good for street use as well. They wear decent, arent noisy, tough as nails, and do well in the dirt. But they are expensive when getting them in small sizes, and compared to other AT tires of the same size, they are heavy!

I have the general grabber at2 on my baja, and they were cheaper, not as heavy, are quiet, and still do well in the dirt. But they kinda suck in the snow. Just my $.02

What is the offset of the stock 13" wheels?  I'm looking at the various options for wheel upgrades and was considering the VW5 to Subaru 4 x 140 offered by SJR.  These would allow for the use of VW aftermarket wheels like THESE for $78 each.  Other than not having to deal with redrilling wheels or hubs, are there any other benefits to this type of setup? 

What is the offset of the stock 13" wheels?  I'm looking at the various options for wheel upgrades and was considering the VW5 to Subaru 4 x 140 offered by SJR.  These would allow for the use of VW aftermarket wheels like THESE for $78 each.  Other than not having to deal with redrilling wheels or hubs, are there any other benefits to this type of setup? 

Stock 13" wheels have huge positive offset, I could measure it after work.  The holes almost line up with the edge of the rim itself.  The reason most people go with a 6 lug swap or drill the wheels is that 6x5.5" wheels are incredibly common, they came on Toyotas, Nissans, Dodges, Chevys and so on.  I got mine for around $70 each brand new from Les Schwab but have seen them as low as $50 new, or less used.  While the VW adapter does have the advantage of no modifications you wont find as many of those wheels around or would i personally trust an adapter for anything other then super light offroad (Gravel Roads and Mud Puddles).

• Like 1