Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new here, new to Subarus

Just wanted to say hi. My parents had a Subaru (I don't remember the model...I want to say Legacy, but I'm prob. wrong) when I was growing up, but I've never owned one myself till a few days ago. I traded my 2008 WK Grand Cherokee for a 2013 Crosstrek & I really couldn't be happier. The main thing I wanted was better fuel economy (which really isn't that hard to achieve if you're comparing to a WK), but the Crosstrek has already exceeded my expectations...it's the right combination of sporty & practical. My Jeep was fun to drive off-road or in crappy road conditions (snowy, slushy, etc...), but was otherwise kind of "blah". This Subaru promises to be fun ANYWHERE (I already know it's fun on-road)!

Here's my new baby sitting curbside out front of my home:

IMG_5069_zps74f50e0f.jpg

Great looking car! I love that subaru had the vision to make this car. It's basically a new version of what I, and others, had to do through custom work - lift an impreza. But they gave it great styling to match that added ground clearance.

I love the performance/durability and capability that my Impreza has delivered. (And it's 18 years old and close to 300,000 miles.) I can only imagine what one with 10,000 miles would feel like.

Welcome to the board!

(And it's 18 years old and close to 300,000 miles.)

Welcome to the board!

Thanks! I hope I can keep mine going that long! Mine has about 14,500 on it. Reading some XV threads here & on other forums, that seems to be just enough to break it in & get the glitches/bugs worked out. Hopped in it & immediately the avg. MPGs shot up to 29 combined city/highway...of course, I learned to be *really* gentle w/ the accelerator in the WK, but I've been trying to really put her through the paces, pushing it around corners & such.

Just out of curiosity, how much work (above & beyond normal matienence) have you had to put into your Impreza to keep it running for this long? Before my WK, I had a '02 Nissan Altima that was just a moneysink...seemed like every week or every other week something big &/or expensive was failing or breaking. Got rid of it just shy of 110K...it's hard for me to accept that when I had a Ford Explorer in high school that made it to 190K (before I killed it w/ a deer).

I've had the impreza for about the last 100k and got a lot of info from the previous owner. He had pulled the engine and done a bunch of the seals and did the head gaskets as preventative maintenance. The rear struts were pretty much done by the time I got the car, which was replaced when I did the lift.

Other than the usual maintenance of tune up/brake pads (the disposables.) the car has needed

starter at about 260k

trans at 276k (Which probably would have gone longer were it not for lift/off roading/towing etc. The car has worked hard for me.

clutch at the same time as the trans. It's probably on it's 3rd clutch.

knock sensor

Mass Air flow sensor

timing belt

All that comes to mind. Cheap and easy to maintain. Never left me sitting. And apart from the clutch and a few sensors, I've kept it going on used/junkyard parts.

When the time comes, be sure to get your hands dirty with this car. They're a little different than most, but you'll soon learn just how simple and straightforward they are to work on compared to other brands. I did a transmission swap/clutch job on my "new" Outback last week in our driveway without a transmission jack and it took me 5 hours solo. (And I'm no mechanic, just familiar enough with these cars.