Ultimate Subaru Message Board

To swap for EJ22, or not to swap.

Hello, 

I own a 1993 Subaru Loyale, I'm at a standstill with it currently, I know the motor is going to go soon, it runs "poorly" when revv'd past 3k rpm it makes a horrible slapping noise, also it shakes the car really badly. I don't know which route to take, rebuild my EA82, or swap in an EJ22,

I have a EJ22 that also would need to be rebuilt. The problem is that I believe its from a newer model (1998+) Also I have no ECU, or firewall harness, I believe the motors harness is still there. Also I don't know if the EJ22 ran or is seized or anything about it really. Hear-say tells me that it might have forged rods and pistons, and that it was built for a rally Impreza. Also I was told that it overheated. I know the best case scenario is I buy a 1995 or lower EJ22 donor car, but those are hard to come by here at least for a good price, not to mention cost in the adaptor. I can get the harness and ECU for the EJ for less than 100$.

In short I'm asking what would be the better "bang for my buck" option, Rebuild EA82, or Rebuild and swap EJ22. Honestly I just want the car to be road worthy, but a little more power wouldn't hurt. 

Thanks.

Swap will make a world of diffrence and would be better than rebuilding you ea. rebuilding an ej is much more worth your time.

Steven at infurno fab makes perfect (dowell pins line up perfect and no movment when it lines up) adapter plates and are the cheapest I've seen anywhere.

http://www.infernofab.com/

I strip down harness's for 250$, I illuminate the SmJ junction with solder and shrink wrap.

Go EJ. you won't regret it.

Prwa

• Like 2

Sweet a nice, concise answer, I'm going to tear into my EJ22 this weekend. 
Hit up the scrapyard and try to pull an ecu and harness, I'm going to try and wire it myself,

If I fail,I will be pm'ing you about that harness.

Is there anything I need to do to my clutch to get my EJ22 in? or should mine bolt up to the EJ flywheel?

Thanks

For an OBD I you're going to want to get an EJ22 1994 to 1990. I'd hate for you to find a 95' and have all that hassle.

If its a 98' EJ you've got i would really consider ditching itfor an older style, i've read alot on here about people swapping in the OBD II 2.2s and seems to be a pain and for what gain? There can't be that much more HP right? Damn the VSS! :)

It will be an entirely new car if it's done properly. It will probably cost more and take a little longer than you think too, no mater how well you prepare. I would use a solid and re-sealed 91-94 EJ22, harness, and ECU. Very solid and reliable combo. Bone stock and plenty of smooth power in that light Loyale body. Good mileage too. Post lots of pics!

Edited by Crazyeights

I'd be checking the timing belts on your current EA82 - sounds to me like you've skipped a tooth and a belt tensioner is loose.  Couldn't hurt to check while you're getting the Ej sorted.

As for the conversion, it really transforms the L series into a very driveable vehicle.  I certainly like mine.  Usually you'd go with an EJ engine that's a drop and go or at the most a head gasket swap -  a rebuild just adds to the time and cost of getting the conversion going.

By all means go for the EJ - but you'll need your EA to keep going until you know you've got the EJ ready to go.  I bench tested my wiring before I put it in the L ;)

Cheers

Bennie 

So I checked out my EJ22, its missing alot of stuff, ( it was used at school taken apart a few times) That why it was free haha.

So I was thinking I'd wait a little longer looking for a donor vehicle, the sad thing is my Loyale's body is quite poor, and there was a mint Loyale sitting on rimstands (rims welded together) at my local scrapyard. They're being really difficult about selling it to me.

Sadly I missed out on an EJ18 FWD 1993 Impreza.

Yeah I think you're right, I'm still going to try if an opportunity presents itself.

I'd be checking the timing belts on your current EA82 - sounds to me like you've skipped a tooth and a belt tensioner is loose.  Couldn't hurt to check while you're getting the Ej sorted.

I checked my ignition timing, I'm assuming even if its ok, there could still be an issue with belt timing right?

I have to pull the engine anyways because I have a little frame repair to do  :P. I've been trying to put this off however, to check/repair my timing would I be better off just pulling it out or is doing it in the engine bay not that big of a hassle?

Hello, 
I own a 1993 Subaru Loyale, I'm at a standstill with it currently, I know the motor is going to go soon, it runs "poorly" when revv'd past 3k rpm it makes a horrible slapping noise, also it shakes the car really badly..

none of that sound necessarily catastrophic.  fixing the EA82 might be as simple as a tune up, engine mount for the shaking, and slapping timing belts due to a loose tensioner.  cheap and not much work sounds a lot better than swap most of the time.