Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 ticks sometimes,perfectly quiet other times....reason?

'84 4WD wagon.Hydraulic lifters....right Chris?I'll double check but if it's the adjustable type I have the tool.But it still seems like something else.

Any ideas why it won't tick all the time?

I have an oil pump re-seal kit ready to go in.I'll do it if needed but this problem seems to be something different.Can you explain,Mr.Spock?

Again,it's an intermittent problem....not consistant.My chest pops out when it's quiet.My ego deflates when I pick up my son at school and it sounds like I'm driving a giant wrist watch....the old kind.:rolleyes: tick tick tick

YES! my hatch does this too!! Its so frikin annoying it seems to go away if i take it on the freeway. And then it will run super again. Also, it runs like crap when its ticking. I put in ATF and that seems to make the engine run much better. Should we try to change the oil pump gaskets?

Moose this happened to me just recently, turned out my crossover pipe had rattled loose. It seems like lifters are starving for oil, but thats the actual sold of engine without exault pipes....wierd. Clamped her down, good as gold.