Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T dies when gas gauge moves :/

so recently ive been driving my turbo wagon daily, and now whenever i put gas into it or go up a steep hill and the gas gauge moves it dies

when it dies i know its something electrical because i cant pop start it and the tach wont move when starter is running, but it'll start after a few minutes and i know when its about to start because the tach starts to jump when trying to start it

ive never heard of anything like this before, so i was hoping someone may have had the same problem before and might know what to do. has been really frustrating lately :banghead:

The first place I suggest you for the trouble is the fusible links located in the plastic box mounted on the coolant reservoir. Check for loose connections. Some folks have found bad connections on the bottom side of the panel also. If that area is okay then the ignition switch may be the next best suspect. Check to see if the dash fuses are getting power when the trouble happens. If they aren't then the trouble is between the fusible links and the ignition switch wiring.

The fuel pump may be getting weak since going up hills is a problem. If that problem still happens after you fix the connection problem I suggest you replace the pump.

Fuel pump is brand new, so I'll have to check power at fuses when it does die

And its not the going up hill part, it does if I go down hill and stop too, or even if I accelerate really hard and when the gas gauge moves it dies

I can pretty much count on it dying every time I get gas now, like it'll fire up for a second and die at the gas pump

ok, ill see how that works soon as i can get to it. and im thinkin that because its as soon as i get gas every time now, right when the gas gauge moves about 1/8 inch it just cuts power. not all power, just ignition, everything else still works fine. the tach doesnt move when it happens, i just keep turnin the key and as soon as i see the tach jump a lil bit i just hold the key on and it fires right up

When it dies is it sudden ?  If so, then indeed it is likely electrical related. 

If it dies slowly, doing a hurt dance, then it is likely a fuel related problem.  Checking the sending unit connection is a great idea of where to start looking.

Edited by Dee2