Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is the intended purpose of this thing on a Subaru?!?!?

This seems to be some port to the interior. It would be great for wires or cables to pass through for lights or antenna, but surely there could be no intention for such to be mounted in this particular spot.

I'm pretty sure it would not be needed for ventilation...

So what purpose was this intended for?

post-53036-0-14749400-1400600442_thumb.jpg

post-53036-0-35343300-1400600475_thumb.jpg

I have heard that these vents in all cars are to relieve pressure when shutting the doors, makes sense I guess as shutting the doors with the windows open or closed you can feel the pressure difference. But this is all just what I think:)

+1

Also flow through ventilation needs to exit somewhere, otherwise it would not, well... Flow through!

Thanks everyone! I  was hoping it had some more sexy purpose, but I have thought of a couple small uses for it, like to pass through the wires for some accent lighting for those... what are those decorative vent looking covers over that area anyway? lol...

Thanks everyone! I  was hoping it had some more sexy purpose, but I have thought of a couple small uses for it, like to pass through the wires for some accent lighting for those... what are those decorative vent looking covers over that area anyway? lol...

decorative vent covers Duh.. :)

That is the vent.

Air comes in for A/C and Heat through the cowl...into the ducts.

It goes out through those holes.

Wagons they are in the tailgate.

Xt's they are in the door sill.

but all subarus have them.

vent hole so the cabin isn't a sealed box that can't accept outside air.

That is the vent.

Air comes in for A/C and Heat through the cowl...into the ducts.

It goes out through those holes.

Wagons they are in the tailgate.

Xt's they are in the door sill.

but all subarus have them.

vent hole so the cabin isn't a sealed box that can't accept outside air.

I may have to expand on this concept, as I have plans on replacing the sliding rear window in my Brats' cab with a center piece of glass, and panels directly behind the head for speakers to solve the problem of where to put (more) speakers. One narrow pane of glass in the center would not be able to be opened without obstructing the sound from the speakers on one side or the other, but I may be able to figure something out, as I think a vent there, high, between the seats would allow more air through when I have the T-Tops popped. I can also still use the holes here posted about to pass a couple of wires through for LED lighting effects for the Louver covers.