Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So iam working on my 96 Impreza and i noticed that with the crank at tdc with the hash marks on it the other two marks wont line up

At first I thought maybe the last person to do this just lined it up with the marks on the plastic cover because with that at zero with the hash mark it is really close to zero on that gauge but with checking the number one cylinder it is in fact in line with the mark on the motor so the other two marks are off? confused not sure what to do with this has anyone else ran into this problem or can some one tell me how to adjust this to get it all back to tdc? The car ran just fine before just gonna replace it because the water pump went out so yeah any and all help would be great cause cant find crap in the Haynes manual I got about adjusting it. will upload a couple pics in a minute thanks

Edited by stud06

if the cam marks are lined up properly - and that's the same crank picture as when the cam marks are noted - then it's wrong.

can you post a picture of the cams too and everything in one shot?

i'm very hesitant to recommend changing the timing belt on a perfectly running engine, that doesn't make any sense.

how badly did the water pump fail?  is the water pump pulley compromised, thereby throwing off the timing artificially, like when bearings go out and the outer pulley isn't properly centered anymore.

normally with this question, someone is simply looking at the wrong marks.

that belt has more cracks and grooves than the moon, looks like it brushed up against the exxon valdez, it was used to paint white trim in a house, and the belt is improperly installed or noted. we need an auto-sherlock holmes section of the website.

i'd be replacing that belt while you got it apart or looking for a good used one, i've got some lying around. 

ebay or Gates amazon kits are like $80 for all new pulleys and the belt - good for another reliable 60k.

Edited by grossgary