Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any easy way to put the transmission back?

ok my clutch burned and my brat wouldnt accelerate. so my friend and I decided to replace with new one. It was that hard putting down the transmission and replace the clutch...ok here is the problem, we couldnt come up with any device that would lift the freaking transmission back into where it was. We tried with two floor jack(actually one floor and one portable) I mean its hard.. just two of us and one of us under the car, and other one over the engine trying to lift this beast. we were soo close to put the tranny back in but it fell of the jack and almost killed me :lol: ...more like :eek: yea...n e who i need some ideas of putting the tranny bit easier just with two people.

thanks

Dan

Either get a tranny jack or get some stronger friends. I just went through this a few weeks ago.. Ended up just getting help from someone bigger than me that could bench press the tranny up in there long enough for me to get a bolt on it.

Word of advice... next time, pull the motor.. its a lot easier.

Ditto - next time just rock the engine forward with the radiator removed - no need to remove either one actually.

Put a rope around the output shaft, run that up through the shifter hole, and lift the rear end of the tranny up then slam the rope in the door to hold it up like that. Then get yourself under the tranny (feet towards the front of the car), and have a friend lift up the front of the tranny so you can get under it - then just bench it into place. Or get a tranny jack - they are only like $50 from Harbor Frieght.

GD

It took 3 to put in the trans on my '88 GL wagon. 2 below, one on each side of the crossmember, and using a jack directly under the transaxle to assist us in getting it upto the main engine crossmember. A 3rd guy (thanks joe!) was pushing on the engine with one hand and lifted the tranny by the bellhousing to get it up onto those 2 lower studs on the engine bellhousing. Honestly that part only ook about 10 minutes. The harder part was lining everything up and getting all the bolts started so we could tighten in down.

Pushing on the engine is key. Need to point those studs on the engine bellhousing down ward making it WAY easier to slip the transmission bellhousing onto the studs. I'm pretty scrawny in the arms and we had little trouble lifting it with teh jack assisting us. Joe is a bear and was able to push on the engine and lift the trans at the same time so you might need to track down one mroe person for the install :)

Good luck! ALso dont make my mistake by NOT replacing the throw out bearing!!!! Nothing like putting it all back together only to hear your throwout bearing over your exhuast! :o Get a new throw out bearing on there !

Wimps!!!!! :lol: Do what I do, make sure the car is high enough in the air, but not too high, get under the car, roll the tranny onto your chest, then bench press the tranny into position. This way you have all kinds of room to move the tranny into the correct position without a tranny jack getting in the way. If you don't believe that I do it this way, ask edrach.

Sure - but you have more "padding" than I do :lol: . The tranny isn't so heavy, but it has lots of sharp edges that dig into my ribs - not good. Having the back end supported by a rope helps to get it on your chest. And having someone up above to tell you what's going on with that input shaft is good too. As for tipping the engine backwards - on the EA81's you can just adjust the pitching stopper backwards.... and on the EA82's Subaru makes a special "adjustable" pitching stopper just for transmission installation....

GD

Rent a tranny jack. Also make sure the car is level when jacked up. With only the front end jacked up, it's virtually impossible to get the right angle on the transmission to get everything to mate up. Also a couple of extra long bolts help in lining things up before sliding the tranny into place.

Come on you guys......putting in a tranny can be a one person job. :-) I used two floor jacks with a short piece of 2x4 on each one. Jacked it up, pulled the floor jacks forward a little, jacked it up a little more, pulled it forward a little more........it can be done.

1 person 1 chain 1 bottle jack, use the chain drapped over the pitching stopper braket as a cradle for the front of the trans, jack it up and adjust the chain to hold it, keep this up untill its inline with the engine, then just push the trans forward from the rear of the trans. Wa La crawl out from under the car and crow so the neigbors can wonder about you!