Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm looking to replace my busted drivers side fog light. every outback I have found in the salvage yard has the drivers side glass busted on the fog light. I'm looking at Ebay and also at other  Subaru products and considering trying to put something newer in the hole. I'm wondering if anybody has the dimentions for 2000 and newer lamp with and without the bracket to see if it is a close enough fit to make it work.

I fitted 00-04 fogs in my 96-99 outback bumper, it wasn't perfect but it functioned. Bent the 00-04 brackets and slotted one of the mount holes to fit my bumper support. You'd have to fab a small bracket to secure the lower stud to the bumper itself.

IMAG1064_zps2a994a6c.jpg

• Like 1

I've got cheapo 6" round driving lights from Autozone in mine. Had to fab a bracket to mount them but it was pretty easy. Just bent a length of 2" wide aluminum from Lowes to curve around behind the light. Drilled a hole at the bottom for the light mounting stud to go in. Two holes at the top to bolt it to the existing mount holes in the bumper.

Not sure how well they work compared to the factory lights but when they're aimed properly they cut through the fog pretty well.

IMG_3779.jpg

The cheapo plastic grille on the light broke when I hit the top limbs of a tree that had fallen into the road after a wind storm.

• Like 1

I've gotten some off Ebay, it was a long time ago. 

I've also used the old plastic and mounted in a sealed low beam lights.  You  have to cut out some of the back plastic but they will go in.

Yea, I read someone else doing this............using a round 5" sealed beam head light, that were used as  head lights in cars back in the 50's and 60's. Pretty sure the high beam variety was used, as it has only one filament, but low beam would work, just wire for one of the filaments. Someone on this forum did a write up on this topic, including pictures a few years back. Maybe check "search" on this forum to see that old post.

My fab work involved a hammer and angle grinder lol, thinking back I may have had to grind a small section on the bumper support to clear the light brackets. I have that bumper off the car now so I can take a look at it later this evening.

well my lights came last night and I looked at the old bracket and the new bracket and figured out that with a little modification to the old bracket the new lamp would fit. I had to trim the beam angle adjustment screw bracket and drill out the tabs to a larger dia then mount the lamp in the old bracket. it worked a lot slicker than I first expected 

post-50772-0-15752200-1401892838_thumb.jpg

the old ones had the plastic grill in front I havent tried to see if the grill will snap on the lights yet, it looks like the lights have the tabs to hold the grill. I'm not shure how much good that plastic does. the new lights are significantly heavier plastic reflector and front glass.

the shape of the newer lights has a lot more curve to the lens than the old one so the grill doesn't fit from the old one.

Saw where you wrote that the grills were broken after hitting tree limbs, so best throwing them away. With thicker lenses you describe, you really don't need the covers anyway.

From your pixs, it looks like your headlight lenses are rather fogged up due to age. This cuts back the amount of light in front of your car. Various kits are available to clean off the frosting. I have used tooth paste on a wet paper towel to clean off the frosting. It helps, but is not as good as using a kit designed specifically to clean the lenses.

which kit do you suggest?

I've used the same 3M kit to do my wagon and a Honda Civic.  Results were excellent.  I spent about one hour on each car.  It was a lot easier to work on the headlights when removed from the car (and less chance of damaging the paint/trim around the headlight when still mounted). The retails for about $19.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/3m-headlight-restoration-kit-39084/10142278-P?searchTerm=headlight+restoration+kits

get a UV sealer/protectant to apply afterwards to help keep them clear longer.

+1 .  I didn't do this and I am cursing that.  I did my Civic headlights about 14 months ago and they need another hit - not as bad as they were originally, but already noticeably degraded from after I used the kit.  (I actually still have some left after doing two cars so I'll get a third use out of it)