Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Is The Best Year And Model From 1990-1996 ? And Why?

US market 1990’s Outback Sports never got the EJ25 from the factory.

Avoid the 99+ EJ22. Get a 1998 or earlier EJ22...or EJ18. .

97-98 only if you’re willing to install a complete OEM or Aisin timing components as theyre interference.

To check engine offerings:

Cars101.com

You can also look up parts on www.car-part.com. You’ll see the available engines listed there for whateber year/model you out in. 2.5 won’t be listed.

You can also look up Subaru parts websites.

Lots of ways to skin that cat.

So if I find a 95 or 95 impreza outback, it is non-interfering?

• Like 2

So if I find a 95 or 95 impreza outback, it is non-interfering?

Any 1996 and earlier EJ22 is noninterference.

1990-96 are noninterference.

So yes a 95 vehicle Is in that range as long as it hasn’t been swapped.

Edited by idosubaru

My last 3 Subies were ( most recent last):

1990 Loyale Turbo Wagon 1.8 noninterfearance

1997 Impreza Outback Sport 2.2 interfearance

1998 Legacy Outback Wagon 2.5 DOHC interfearance

All cars before that were older noninterfearance motors. I commute

a long distance back and forth to work every day, so I just buy old

junkers for cheap and run them till they die or rust apart. And I

have owned a lot of them. The only new Subaru I ever owned was a

1976 wagon. After that I promised Subaru I would never but another

new car from them because of the way they treated me (long story),

and I never have. I always bought used ones so that Subaru would

never again get any of my money.

Here are my opinions.

01.There is a certain amount of anxiety with the

interfearance engines that is not there with the noninterfearance

engines. On a NI engine, if a belt breaks, no big deal. You get towed,

get the belts replaced, and you are good to go. But on an I engine,

if you let it go too long, or you have a premature belt failure, you

can be faced with high repair costs or a worthless vehicle.

02. The 2.5 DOHC motor in my 98 Legacy is so much smoother that the SOHC

motors in the other cars I have owned. It is a real pleasure to drive.

Unfortunately, everyone tells me that chances are very high that I will

have a head gasket failure by the time I get 150k miles on the car. I

have 130k on it now, so I will just have to wait and see.

03. All of the cars I owned previously rusted away to the point of

being unsafe before the motors developed serious issues. They were

all NI engines.

Edited by jeryst
  • Like 1

As jeryst rust was a perennial problem with Subarus until when? You should have seen my 84 1.8 Wagon I got cheap from a Vermont mechanic named "Van".  Totally rusted with sheet metal riveted on body panels.  Those 1.8s were easier to work on.  I like fully manual functions, including high/low 4 wheel drive; do not like all the automatic stuff.  2.5 engines definitely have a lot more power.  EJ22s can be bullet proof engines, I always owned station wagons, not sure if the smaller versions have any advantages.  

As jeryst rust was a perennial problem with Subarus until when? You should have seen my 84 1.8 Wagon I got cheap from a Vermont mechanic named "Van".  Totally rusted with sheet metal riveted on body panels.  Those 1.8s were easier to work on.  I like fully manual functions, including high/low 4 wheel drive; do not like all the automatic stuff.  2.5 engines definitely have a lot more power.  EJ22s can be bullet proof engines, I always owned station wagons, not sure if the smaller versions have any advantages.  

The only advantage to the smaller cars was gas mileage as they always seemed to get at least 5

miles per gallon more compared to the full wagons. I also liked the push button 4WD with hi/lo as it was much better in deep snow than the fulltime AWD setup.

I also had a 96 Outback with the EJ22 and 5 sp manual transmission. It was a great combination for reliability, not a hot performer but not too bad. Too bad it got totaled or I would most likely still be driving it. Since it was a first gen 2.2 it was non interference.

The 2nd gen 2.2 was kind of an odd engine for Subaru to make, I think they got 7 additional horsepower out of it but made it interference. Not a great compromise in my opinion.

I have a comment on the interference issue, I have since had lots of EJ25 engines, if you keep up on maintenance they are very reliable. I replace all idlers at the timing belt replacement interval, along with tensioner, water pump, seals if needed, thermostat and coolant, and even oil pump as needed, beware the small oil pumps on old worn out engines with big clearances.

Agree anything with a phase 1  EJ 2.2 (non interference)  engine  with a manual transmission.

If I had bought a Legacy of that age  ie 90 - 95   it would have been 2.2 GX manual D/R  Wagon (available here in NZ)  These here have a good reputation for longevity.

But Legacy low ride height made me keep my 86 GL wagon till 2009 when structural  rust around windscreen put it off the road  (regular 6 monthly compliance road testing for older cars  strict on rust here in NZ)

Then bought 1st Outback.

Edited by subnz

My $.02 best combo for reliability, build quality, and ground clearance

96 MT outback is the best from the factory combo.

Best custom combo (and my DD) :  98 Forester AT with a swapped in fully rebuilt 92 EJ22, using a 95 EJ22 manifold for direct plug n play.

During 96 you have to look at my old posts I think they switched over to interference engines. I have had 5 including my first girlfriends. Look at my recent post on timing belt.

Also I have to say I like the 5 speed better esp now you know these cars are now getting just kind of dated my last one only had about 175k and trans went. That’s the big IF in my opinion with these cars is the trans. You can find low mileage engines and well maintained but I realized if the trans went where but another used would you get one I don’t think they make them anymore if someone knows different I’d sure like to know.

????

During 96 you have to look at my old posts I think they switched over to interference engines. I have had 5 including my first girlfriends. Look at my recent post on timing belt.

Also I have to say I like the 5 speed better esp now you know these cars are now getting just kind of dated my last one only had about 175k and trans went. That’s the big IF in my opinion with these cars is the trans. You can find low mileage engines and well maintained but I realized if the trans went where but another used would you get one I don’t think they make them anymore if someone knows different I’d sure like to know.

Interference began in 97 models.

The 4eat transmission is still very serviceable by a trans shop, or as complete remans from Subaru.

That said, they are tough.  Many make it to 300k with no issues.....others need transfer clutches or solenoid repair.  Ring and pinion gear can fail on the 6cyl models (driven often at high speeds)  My personal Forester has 242k on the original trans and runs smooth as can be, AWD works excellent.

The Auto trans themselves are pretty robust, and don't often have problems unless abused.

I've seen way more 5spds with grumbling main shaft bearings at 180k.  these trans will be shot by 250k if they aren't repaired.

Interference began in 97 models.

and for those that "insist" that some '96s are interference...

With cars, the new "model year" typically begins in the 4th quarter of the previous calendar year... so cars that have a build date of 10/96 thru 12/96 are actually '97 model year..