Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Easy way to replace oil pan gasket?

My poor subie is leaking profuse amounts of oil from the 35 year old cork gasket on the oil pan. It needs to be replaced...badly. 

Unfortunately, there's a crossmember in the way of the rear bolts. Is there a quick and easy way to pull the engine up a few inches so I can get the rear bolts out and replace the gasket? 

Thanks!

On my Gen 1, I used a dremel tool to lengthen the back holes so I could get to the bolts. It worked fine, but took a very long time. I'm sure a better tool would make it easier. But, now that it's done, if I ever need to replace the seal again, it will be pretty easy. I don't know if there are any strength issues with this approach, but I did it years back and have never had any problems. I also vaguely remember seeing posts a long time ago about other people who had done the same thing.

Edited by bendecker

Put a new cork gasket on with a bit of RTV to help it seal. Putting those rear bolts on is a real PITA! 

I also discovered my water pump is leaking. Isn't working on old cars great? looks like I have another project ahead of me!

What did you end up doing to get to the rear bolts?

The water pump is a really easy fix. The first one I ever did (and I didn't have a clue back then) took all of an hour and saved me a ton of money. When they start going bad, it sounds like your whole engine is about to rattle apart.

I just used a good ol' phillips head and they came right out. Put them back in too. Didn't want to torque them down too much, since the last time I did that I broke off a bolt. 

I'm looking at some water pumps on fleabay right now. Need to make sure I get the right one because I hear there are a few different kinds!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dude just pull the engine and do it all in one day.  Ive had mine out twice now, the second time had it on the ground in 30 minutes.  You don't even need a engine hoist, just grab a buddy and you both can pull it out of there easily.  You might want to do some other work to it while its on the ground but dude really you can get this done on a saturday easily.  Power wash it and engine bay while its out too!  If you lived nearby Id give you a hand....

I agree with oleman77. the engine comes out really quick. you don't even have to take the hood off. (if you're me haha) just push the hood all the way back. I think the whole thing is just 4 bolts to the bell housing and 2 engine mounts, aside from disconnecting the electrical, and the rad hoses. shouldn't take more than an hour if it's your first time.