Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Legacy 2.5L aftermarket exhaust and fitment questions

I think my stock headers finally saw their last winter this year. Rusty, exhaust leaks, and sounds like shuffling cards in front of a desk fan. Didnt help that the previous owner only used the car for occasional short trips, Ive heard this could cause the exhaust to rot from the inside out due to condensation and the such. Im currently looking at some UEL headers on ebay. Since im on a high school pre-college budget, im not looking at anything too fancy but I do want the UEL headers for better noise without a tacky obnoxious fart can. I was just wondering if anyone has done UEL headers on a second gen Legacy, and if so what did you use, how much did it cost, and did it require modifications or new cats/resonator pipe. I dont want a full, expensive exhaust system but I wouldnt be surprised if I need a new cat or two.

...or should i just buy some headers, take it to a shop and make it someone elses problem? (But oh, money money...)

Also does anyone have a part number/source of the studs that hold the header to the block? Mine are beyond repair at this point.

Had a brand new (like not even dirty) axle back when I got in in november. Resonator pipe in decent shape. Cats look good from the outside, have no problems, but dont know how they are internally. Just about every heat shield has rotted loose.

The headers you have are OEM style Im assuming?

Edited by pginter96