Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loose Window Glass

i have the same problem ive never done anything about it  its great if you lock your keys in the car but sucks when it falls inside of the door or if its off track alittle its on my list of things to do i have a replacement door and could always glue it back in but it dosent  bother me enuff too do anything about it

@skishop69, the window moves back and forth when it goes up and down, so it doesn't sit square and doesn't close snugly. It actually bows out some from the vehicle. This leads to a problematic level of noise at highway speed, possibly a higher risk of vandalism or theft, and likelihood of rain damage. Plus, it looks bad and it's bothering me. The motor and tracks work fine, but the glass isn't staying secure in the clips. Can I get more of that sticky black goop that they used to secure it in the first place?

Check and adjust the roller guides at the top of the door. You can access the nuts to adjust them with the interior panel off the door. Don't snug them up too tightly, or you may have a problem with the motor fighting to raise the window against the friction.

Just last few weeks sorted my EA81 driver door from being an extra reason to take it off the road and put out to pasture. Only due to fact window seized up and quickly did I do anything. It was the firt of many times I acyually did not min working with the window and its manual winder mechanism .

I scored another door, used its mechanism and the guide that slides in the fronter guide channel - for MY EA81's it is part number 762243030 and about 13 bucks in Oz. For the rear guide channel, looking at the two wheel rollers, one is a fixed axle, the lower one, so no idea why it is round, other than cost saving measure. The upper of the lower guides, white nylon wheel is on an axle and it slides back and forth. Lubed it up, sprayed lanotec on channel insies, and window is like new !!  A82 may use similar channel nylon guide

I tried adjusting my rollers, but it didn't seem to make any difference. I'm wondering if the exterior wiper strip is just to old and hard to make contact with the glass. 

For gluing widows, you might use a product called 3M Window Weld. 

John

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all. I got into it to make the adjustments and found that the front window-holder bracket was broken :/ Hence it's coming off-track. I found and '89 GL donor at the local scrapyard and got the driver's window, now I need to take mine apart to make the switch. The motor and guides all seem to work well enough, so I will update when the job is finished. 

• Like 1