Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2 plug tps? mpfi ea82

So I need help on how to dial this two plug tps in.

Mine has two wires going to the tps (room for 2) then a plug with three wires.

Anyhelp?

And is there any way to mod a different tps to this car as I cannot find one anywhere

pY9Q9u0.jpg

Edited by elgigante
  • Like 1

Hey thanks, kinda confusing though, to me it says you can use a spider tps, but then you cant. Am I reading this right?

"To make this style work with a Spider TPS you just need to combine the 2 ground wires(or just cut ff one of them, since they are already combined further up the harness) and match the remaining 3 to their respective pins(power, signal, Idle) on the Spider TPS.

As far as using a Spider TPS with the older type, I can't see how it would work. The old style is not a potentiometer"

You can use a 4 wire off a Spider manifold engine, as there is a common earth wire that branches to both of the 2 & 3 plugs.

But the 3 pin is missing the "potentiometer" part, and only has idle & full throttle switches.

Not sure why you can't find one, all of the 88- MPFI cars should have one.

Could post you one from here :P

spider rotate backwards.

you need correct TPS.

1 connector is just for Idle switch....this is the one with 2 wires in it.....just make it so there is continuity to ground when idle throttle closed, but open when throttle is opend just a hair......

the other connector is the actual potentiometer that measures throttle angle....if you set the switch correct...then the potentiometer part will just do it's thing.

spider rotate backwards.

you need correct TPS.

1 connector is just for Idle switch....this is the one with 2 wires in it.....just make it so there is continuity to ground when idle throttle closed, but open when throttle is opend just a hair......

the other connector is the actual potentiometer that measures throttle angle....if you set the switch correct...then the potentiometer part will just do it's thing.

You sure?

The normal MPFI TPS is on the right side of the engine with the cable on the left pulling from the rear & down.

The spider manifold TPS is on the left with the cable pulling from the front and up.

So in my mind they're both turning the same way, just confusing with the different orientation of the throttle body.

My spider manifold engine was previously running a 3 pin TPS (cos a "black" ECU was being used), so it doesn't have the 4 pin version. I'm planning on using one of these 5 pins on it instead.

• 2 weeks later...