Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brat/gen 2 dash removal.

If anyone has pictures or an in depth describtion of an ea81 dash removal that would be a great help. To my knowledge there are the bolts under the defrost vents and some on the side? Are these all that need to be removed in order to remove the dash pad? Thanks.

I did a write up years ago, when you need it by ?

Few tricks. The grille removal to access the top three M6 bolts, I then drilled 1" homles for them, rubber bung plugged for next time

1/4" sockets are excellent, all sorts of the drivers to reach and undo with screen in.

The centre piece in Oz delivered has hot/cold and fan switches, plus selector, plus fresh or recylce air. It can remain in place just by juggling it in through its hole through dash and leave it hang thre. Quite a few wire ties along the inside for loom stuff.

Drop steering column and is easier without wheel, just beware any airbags :) actually I recall undoing splined knuckle under bonnet and pulling whole column out, no chest injuries then, more room!

• 6 years later...
On 6/4/2014 at 6:10 AM, jono said:

I did a write up years ago, when you need it by ?

Few tricks. The grille removal to access the top three M6 bolts, I then drilled 1" homles for them, rubber bung plugged for next time

1/4" sockets are excellent, all sorts of the drivers to reach and undo with screen in.

The centre piece in Oz delivered has hot/cold and fan switches, plus selector, plus fresh or recylce air. It can remain in place just by juggling it in through its hole through dash and leave it hang thre. Quite a few wire ties along the inside for loom stuff.

Drop steering column and is easier without wheel, just beware any airbags :) actually I recall undoing splined knuckle under bonnet and pulling whole column out, no chest injuries then, more room!

Do you have this write up?  Could you send it to me I’m taking mine apart now and I think I’m on the wrong track after reading this I have the glove box out and surround all around gauges and the vents out. 83 gl wagon 

You’re at this point breaking down the dashboard. 

With the five bolts mentioned you should be able to move the dashboard freely. As it becomes loose you’ll see the obvious places you’ll need attention mike the speedometer cable , wiring harness connections , and really very little else.