Ultimate Subaru Message Board

6lug redrill question.

You can get bits in 32nds and 64ths that would not require welding the stud.  Measure the stud diameter and the diameter of the "knurled" shoulder part and pick a couple bit diameters in between.  Start small and work your way up like Prwa101 mentioned.  You can get a bit set from HF that has 32nds and 64ths.   The bit set also comes in handy when tapping and helicoiling.  Maybe someone will tell you the exact bit diameter, but it's kind of an easily determined trade secret for the people that sell 6-lug conversions.

Wait wait wait. Your talking about drilling the rims out? You know it's prolly Easier to drill the hubs out and more economical? That's what I was refereeing to. Most tire shops won't touch the rims if there drilled out. Also it will need to be counter cynced so the nuts fit correctly.

• Like 1

I'm thinking it will be easier to drill the rims.. Less metal to drill through and I don't have to get more studs. And when winter comes around I can throw my stock wheels and tires back on. I've seen a lot of people do it this way and never heard of any issues. And I got the set of rims for 80 bucks, so why not try it

• Like 1

I'm thinking it will be easier to drill the rims.. Less metal to drill through and I don't have to get more studs. And when winter comes around I can throw my stock wheels and tires back on. I've seen a lot of people do it this way and never heard of any issues. And I got the set of rims for 80 bucks, so why not try it

Personally thats what i though at first too, I drilled out my rims like you soon will. But i found that its much easier to just do the hubs, and ruin the look of the rim. if you got the rims for 80$ you should just get another set and run near stock tires on that rim. Its makes a much more professional look and feel. But there is one up side for me having both 6 lug and 4 lug on my rims. If a buddy with stock 4 lug does blow out and needs a spair he could always run one of mine to get back to town. 

as far as getting wheel studs, easy, just go to the junk yard knock several out. the yard near me practically gives them away as no one takes them.