Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Crankshaft pulley removal ?

So my *$%#@ timing belt on the pass. side went mia, leaving me stranded. Went ahead and ordered the kit but it won't be here for a couple days, and I'd like to get the car back home where it's secure & easier to work on. Thought if I could get that belt off the motor on my bench, I could slap that on and drive it here. 

Trouble is the benched motor has timing belt covers, necessitating the removal of the crank pulley -which is tricky with the motor sitting on a milk crate with no flywheel. Anyone have a trick to get that off?

Thanks guys, none of that worked so I ended up demolishing the cover by putting a small bolt thru a hole in the crank pulley enough to break the plastic and rotated it until the cover was broken enough to get it off. Went and put that belt on and got it home. Didn't really need the pulley off as much as I needed the cover gone  -_-

it is a shame society is like that, in not being able to leave a break down for fear of its safety.

Wonder how far back this fear has needed to exist?

Did our forebears fear this with their horse and buggy if something crapped out, or could they just leave the 'vehicle' for a few days until a new part been made , scrounged or ordered ?

I had it pulled into a Dodge dealership right on the highway, which stays lit up, but you never know. My tires are new enough, plus some rednecks might have a problem with a "rice burner" there, and do something stupid to it.