Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Safety advise?

So I'm making my gl into a manual trans and I had to remove the whole steering wheel to put the petal assembly in anyways I was looking at this and was wondering if I should replace it? The donor car don't have this it's just the "u-joint" should I take the one from the donor car or will this be fine? Thanks

post-52221-0-25603900-1402609910_thumb.jpg

post-52221-0-59840800-1402609933_thumb.jpg

It would be a good idea. It's called a rag joint.  Should be able to pick one up at the parts house. I don't think they're too expensive.  Should tighten up some of the play in your steering.  Better to change it now, while you have it out, then to put it back in, and have to pull it back out later.  If it does tear, you can pretend like you're driving through a movie. :P

Edited by Dj7291993

Just bolt the two halves together with some washers to take up the slack.screw that rubber rag joint.

That works too. Just for the OP's information, the rag joint is used to give it a flex point, possibly as an impact cushion.  I'm not against eliminating parts that you feel are unnecessary, but it's always good to know why it's there in the first place before you decide it's not needed.