Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mod/repairs/maintenice/suggestions(questions) for legacy outback

So I got a 1995 Subaru legacy outback for a first car for $1240. The car is a AT 2.2L boxer with 244,800 and counting on it. The car has a rebuilt title and I found out that's it's been in 4 car accidents. It's originally from Texas and has no service history on it. The last owner was told that the trans and engine where rebuilt. I will slowly do the things above from the title and be listed like that.

So from 6/12/14

Mods:

-Roof basket

-donut tire delete

Repairs:

-fix radio to get it out of demo mode

Maintenece:

-air filter

Questions:

- I need suggestions for what type of shocks that I should replace with the one I have, the front left is shot and the other seem floaty

-how do you fix the lights on the ac controller

KYB struts. They make the OE struts.

The bulbs in the HVAC unit burn out all the time on the older cars. Pretty easy to replace with bulbs from radio shack, or they can be replaced with LEDs. There are a few DIY writeups out there with info and pictures. (Or at least there used to be)

http://partsgeek.com is where I got mine - much better pricing than anyone else for the KYBs

If you need springs, tophats, or other related components, try http://parksubaruoemparts.com

another reliable source for parts is http://rockauto.com

I went all brand new Forester suspension on my 95 Legacy L - struts, springs, tophats - the whole works and love it!

Since you have no maintenance history on the car, I would suggest a full timing service as well. Not as critical on the 95 as it would be on 97 & up, but still a worthwhile endeavor for reliability.

and find out what the codes are for the CEL, and address whatever they might be.

Edited by heartless

Another thing to do is to change the ATF in the auto tranny. Only half can be drained out at one time, the rest stays in the torque converter. So, best to drain and fill three times, with short drives between drains. ATF seems to be generic, so I use Wal-Mart house brand ATF for many years now with no issues. There is a drain bolt on the bottom of the tranny to make draining easy, Fluid is added through tube near firewall, where check level dip stick resides.

I would be doing a t belt rollers changing all fluids and filters as well as alignment check . Of course I have access to an alignment rack too so thats kinda cheating. Whats the condition of the tires? A car thats been in 4 accidents may drive straight but have messed up tire wear due to bad angles or poorly made repairs.

The tires are pretty newb the last owner out new tires on it same with brakes. I did get a obd scan done at my mechanics shop and cyl 4 has a misfire and either the cat or the o2 sensor is bad. The car does slightly pull to the right but the tread wear is even on the tires. Can someone give me a definitive list with all that I should get done.

those tires are all the same brand/model/size right? very important on AWD cars.

PCV valve clean or replacement might be a good idea.

is that car 4 wheel disc? if so, adjust the rear parking brake star wheels. maybe replace the little shoes inside the rotor.

fuel filter

many cats get replaced when the real issue is an exhaust leak or some other issue throwing the a:f ratio off. But certainly a car as old as yours could have a bad anything. Just make sure.

on plugs, plug wires and O2 sensors, NGK is preffered (rear O2 might be OK if generic, not front though)

if you break into the cooling system, OEM style t'stat ONLY;

Thermostats%204%20sm.jpg

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

The tires are pretty newb the last owner out new tires on it same with brakes. I did get a obd scan done at my mechanics shop and cyl 4 has a misfire and either the cat or the o2 sensor is bad. The car does slightly pull to the right but the tread wear is even on the tires. Can someone give me a definitive list with all that I should get done.

Not easy for someone to come up with a definite list of things to get done. Everyone has their own opinions, so best for you to create a "to do" list of what you want done. What you see here is simply good advise that you can add to your "bucket list" for repairs and maintenance.

Keep asking questions on this forum about Subies repairs. All here are glad to give advise and help.

• Like 1

what rooster said - best to do some research (which you are doing here, good first step)

INSPECT everything, suspect all fluids, hoses and maintenance items, make a list of what needs help NOW (safety and reliability stuff) what you can live with (small fluid leaks, rattles, maybe a passenger window that won't roll down, w'ever) and the big items you need to save-up for.

but each of us would have our own lists that would vary from each other.

You could also take the car to a mechanic for an inspection and work from his list. Consider posting a new thread asking for a shop recommendation near you in FL.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I already have my own mechanic who is a subie master tech so I have that covered but I'm mostly likely gonna get a tune up done, flush all fluids and replace them, and figure out the o2/ cat sensor problem.

got it

is the concern on the cat/O2 due to a P0420 code?

if so, you might read here; http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/49537-p0420-diagnosis.html

Yes it was that code and today I was working on the head lights and the lights are fine on it but the housings are junk and the wiring for the right side one was slightly melted were the light connector to the wiring. Will head light housing from a 96-97 work with the grill for, that one or what? Also the bottom left fog light had no bulb in it was was full of water and calcium. Should I replace both the bottoms or try to clean up the one I have?

KYB struts. They make the OE struts.

The bulbs in the HVAC unit burn out all the time on the older cars. Pretty easy to replace with bulbs from radio shack, or they can be replaced with LEDs. There are a few DIY writeups out there with info and pictures. (Or at least there used to be)

In case someone comes along this thread, I'll same them some hunting:

This is one of the better DIY picture write ups of bulb replacement.  It uses Radio Shack bulbs that run about $1.99 a two pack.

http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/legacy-hvac-bulb-replacement-91.html

Yes it was that code and today I was working on the head lights and the lights are fine on it but the housings are junk and the wiring for the right side one was slightly melted were the light connector to the wiring. Will head light housing from a 96-97 work with the grill for, that one or what? Also the bottom left fog light had no bulb in it was was full of water and calcium. Should I replace both the bottoms or try to clean up the one I have?

What do you mean by "the housings are junk"?

if they are yellowed/cloudy looking - that is an easy fix. cost around $20 or less.

if the insides are bad, then yeah, replacement would be a worthwhile project.

The inside of them are junk, the head light alignment is out badly and I think that the tool for it on them is broke, one is yellow and they both have pretty decent cracks in them and some of the mounting brackets on them are broke. Any suggestion on some after market, OEM ones that would be good replacement. Getting the projection JDM ones are too exspensive unless someone on here will sell them me thier set.

How will putting STI seats in my car differ from stock seats? I found a set for $250 and they are like 15mins from my house so should I get them? Since my seats are already junk I thought I would be a good upgrade any thoughts. Also my cruise crontrol and brights don't work on my car and both of the fuses are good for them

The headlight lenses are easy to polish. Find a set of junkyard headlights without broken mount tabs and polish the lenses with a 3M kit.

What year STI? Front seats should fit, though you may need to bend the front mount tabs a bit. Also need to swap your seatbelt buckles onto the new seats.

Rear seats you have to match wagon to wagon, sedan to sedan. The Impreza seats may not be wide enough.

Edited by Fairtax4me

I end up not getting STI seats but found a 96 subaru outback with a full interior and got a lot of parts off of. I got new to me driver passenger and rear seats and rear carpets, the cargo cover, and the rear gate with the wiring and glass for $200. I now need to clean the seats and install them and eventually with a couple of friends install the back tail gate. The wiring for that runs all the way down to the tail light and was a PAIN to get thought the pillar. Has anyone swapped out their legacy suspension to an outbacks or a baja's suspension?

Forester strut swap here - Love it! Adds roughly 2 inches of height over stock - will also allow you to fit the 15 inch Forester wheels. :D

98 Forester is a direct swap into a 95 Legacy, no modifications needed, but you will need to get it aligned when done

Stock 90 on the left - 95 w/Forester struts on the right, still on the 14 inch wheels - 95 was the same height before the swap...

9095sidebysidecopy.jpg

15 inch 98 Forester alloys that were painted & mounted with 205/65R15 rubber...

10376755_10202292784310176_1653872150260

Edited by heartless

96-99 outback struts will bolt right in and give you a 1" lift. Depending on your current tire size, switch into the Outback 205/70/15 tire can give you another 1".

I have a grille that the slats all broke out of that I was considering putting mesh in. Looks like it would be easy, but I havent tried yet. I have seen a few mesh grills that people made themselves on other models.