Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mod/repairs/maintenice/suggestions(questions) for legacy outback

The newest outback struts you can use is 99. If you're wanting to do newer struts and springs you should look for 04-08 Forester suspension, lift will be more than standard outback because the forester uses a longer spring as well. If you really want to firm up the ride as well go for a set of Forester XT struts and springs.

in all honesty - you should be focusing on making this car run reliably first and foremost. Catch up on all the maintenance items that were let slide, fix whatever is causing the CEL codes, etc.

Once you have it running right and reliably, then you can start thinking about modifcations and lifting and what not.

If the car isnt in tip top stock running form, it is a waste of time, money and energy to throw mods at it.

Just my honest, and not so humble, opinion...take it for what it is.

The first thing you should do is jack it up so both front wheels come off the ground. If one of them comes off the ground first, either the left or the right...the car is never going to be right again OR Florida is sinking faster than anyone thought and you should be looking at making the car into a submarine.  

So does anyone know of a good method of getting replacement keys? Would it be easier to go to the Subaru dealer and get it thier or call a locksmith? My original key is shot and since I am replacing my tail gate it would have a different lock. Also does the 95 legacy have the ability to get a key fob for it? Any help would help. Also I can't have my original key duplicated because it can be pulled out of the ignition when driving

Go to a dealer with your VIN and they can cut one for you. If your original key is the Subaru key with the 4 digit code stamped on it they can cut a new key from that code.

The lock cylinder on the trunk lids aren't hard to swap. I can't imagine the one on the tailgate is much different. Usually consists of popping loose a plastic retainer tab on the lock rod, then sliding a metal clip out from the base of the cylinder.

95 could have a key fob but the keyless entry systems for the older cars are hard to find and pretty expensive. Very easy to install an aftermarket keyless entry system.

I don't like the aftermarket alarm systems and the key is not an original it was a duplicate and a very old one at that since I can just pull it out of the ignition barrel. Also I don't know if all of my locks on my car are the correct ones because the key dosent turn the locks on any of the doors

I don't like the aftermarket alarm systems and the key is not an original it was a duplicate and a very old one at that since I can just pull it out of the ignition barrel. Also I don't know if all of my locks on my car are the correct ones because the key dosent turn the locks on any of the doors

it could simply be that the lock cylinders are seized up due to disuse. Try a little penetrating oil spray & wiggle the key back and forth - dont force it.

the drivers door lock cylinder on the other half's 2006 was seized up from not being used (his does have the factory keyless system) - a little penetrating oil and working it and it freed up and works fine now.

If the key is severely worn it may not turn the door lock cylinders without some wiggling and some luck. The key I have for my GFs 95 is worn down smooth and is quite tricky to use to open the doors or trunk. The key she has is a newer copy and is much less worn. It has no trouble opening the doors.

price will vary depending on area of the country, but I would say somewhere around $5-6 for a freshly cut genuine Subaru key.

and chances are 95 will not have factory keyless entry - that became more common a few years later, and as already mentioned, can be rather expensive to get parts for...

altho I am sure they would be willing to set you up with it for a price, haha

Yeah true, once I do get my car back I'm gonna go to my subie dealer and ask about the key. Also does anyone know if the JDM mirrors with the tweeters will adapt to a 95? My car had the tweeter in the drivers door but isn't thier but it is wired for it since the passenger door has one.

Does anyone else know of the mirros, theirs a set on eBay right now for 185 with free shipping and they have the tweeters and the power folding

These are the mirrors

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Subaru-Legacy-BD-BG-BG5-BK-POWER-FOLDING-ELECTRIC-WING-DOOR-MIRRORS-/291061086422?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c497b8d6

Edited by Baja rally 05

Id never pay that for some used mirrors. You can get folding mirrors in any junkyard for under $50 a pair.

Also true JDM mirrors will have the curved mirror lens on the left, and a flat lens on the right which will be impossible to see anything out of.

I have a set of white ones in the shed that need to be repainted.

Metal bumper will have to be custom made. Gorilla Fabrications makes metal a front bumper for that car. Not sure about rear.

there are very few mass market "mods" available for these cars - most that mod them do it old school - fabricate! or find existing things that can be made to work with maybe some minor modifcations.

a lot of Subaru parts can be made to work across multiple years - like suspension parts.

Body parts dont cross generational lines well, but most everything else will with a little bit of work.

Or the other way to mod is to get the JDM parts but that's exspensive to do but for some things it's the only way to do things. Like getting any type of aftermarket or OEM projector head lights they have to be shipped from japan. Also how much do you think they would charge me to get a custom metal rear bumper. I would like to have the trailer hitch integrated into the bumper like one of the custom rear bumpers for the baja has a set up like that.