Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can the cable TO brg fork be used in this later hydra clutch trans?

Has anyone here done the ej R&P swap to a EA d/r trans using the late 99 up 8 bolt bell housing 5 mt trans?

Replacing the d/r 3.90 R&P with a 4.11 R&P from a 99 Lego OB & adding the viscous center diff for AWD.

Here are links to similar threads about this;

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/129898-4444-x-1592-x-3545-251/?hl=transmission

http://www.offroadingsubarus.com/outbacklowrange_part1.html

Thanks!

Edited by czny

And of course I know the front & rear ratios must match.

Already have the rear 4.11 diff here.

Edit:Went back and retrieved the TY754VCACB trans today, 6/14.

Will start trans gear swapping when another vehicle is gone from my driveway.

Any input from those who've done the gear swaps would be helpful.

Edited by czny

"Can the cable TO brg fork be used in this later hydra clutch trans?"

The answer is yes. Checked the clutch lever arm & bell housing on a 98 Lego OB and found one of the slave cyl holes being used for the hill holder bracket.

Scored another center diff & tail housing assembly from this same OB. Same bolt pattern as the 99 OB trans, just different mounting point for shift linkage.

I think you will find the just throwing a slave on, and using the Cable fork will require too long a throw....over extending the slave.

You can use a hydro clutch in that trans though..........just get a hydro fork, and move the ball pivot to the further out hole in the bell.

If you get a Hill holder cable bracket from an earlier legacy, you can even keep the hillholder.....(the older ones use the top case trans case half bolt rther than the slave mounting)

Can the cable TO brg fork be used in this later hydra clutch trans?

Has anyone here done the ej R&P swap to a EA d/r trans using the late 99 up 8 bolt bell housing 5 mt trans?

Replacing the d/r 3.90 R&P with a 4.11 R&P from a 99 Lego OB & adding the viscous center diff for AWD.

Here are links to similar threads about this;

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/129898-4444-x-1592-x-3545-251/?hl=transmission

http://www.offroadingsubarus.com/outbacklowrange_part1.html

Thanks!

Hate to bum you out......but I think you will not be able to keep the D/R.

The gearset from the EA lower shaft will not fit on the EJ lower shaft.  And using mixing hte EA and EJ gearsets won't work .2nd-5th are different ratios.  And there is actually a change in the cut of the teeth too.

I built almost the excact trans you are describing.......it grumbled but worked.....for about 1000 miles.....then 2nd gear ate itself.

If you foudn a way around that issue..........fitting the 4.11 with D/R would still require shaving the corner of the ring gear (3.9 rings come like that, 4.11's not) and shaving of the D/R Shift collar itself about .100" 

sorry......In theory you could do this build if you could find an RX box to use the upper gearshaft from...as this trans has matching 2nd-5th ratios w/EJ.

You can easily swap the entire EJ gearset and AWD into a S/R (pushbutton) EA trans case......but nt sure why you'd want to??  Maybe 4.11 AWD behind an EA81????

Or you can put EA S/R guts either P/T or FT4wd w/difflock into EJ case for no adapter EJ swap.

Edited by Gloyale

Transmissions on hand:

99 Lego OB, 8 bolt bell, 4.11 R&P

96 Imp, 4 bolt bell, 3.90 R&P 

88 PT D/R(besides the one still in use)

90 FT S/R, 3.90

88 FT S/R, 3.70

I've read all of the still existing threads including yours. Let me at least try out some other ideas. I have here at my disposal a vertical mill, lathe, tool & cutter grinder, tool post grinder & a TIG welder.

If not  feasible at least I can build a fresh D/R for the EJ swap. Need one anyway. One in the car is growling with bad bearings.

Edited by czny

Given what we know about the failure, the ideal would be to keep matched sets of input & output gears in the modified trans, right?

What I'm proposing would be to cut & shut the D/R end of the input shaft forward of the 1st gear & 1st bearing onto a EJ input shaft. NOT butt welded but cut & turn down the EJ input shaft to a step. Bore the other piece for a press fit of .001-.0015". Key to this is ratio of male shaft diameter to bored female donor piece to maintain best strength. Chill the input shaft & heat the donor piece from the D/R, slip the pieces together, then 4 small plug welds between the bearing & the 4 high gear.  All machine work would have be as concentric as possible to keep run-out to minimum. Lathe work with dead center, drive dog, steady rest & checking with indicators should do fine.

Would still need a bell adapter but I already have one for the EJ swap.