Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'98 Outback Radio compatible with 92 Loyale?

Nope. Not even close. Too deep to fit in the Loyale dash, and the wiring systems are too different (Loyales and other earlier Subes use a common grounding system for the speakers). You will need to rewire everything to work, and have schematics for the stereo systems for both Loyale and Outback available.

So even for free it's not worth it? Would I be better off wrangling in an aftermarket deck? Right now I've got the factory AM/FM radio and it doesn't even light up at night. I'm hoping for a relatively simple and cheap transition to quality sound.

You can make it work. I have an outback stereo in my 89.  you need to use the outback wireing and the EA82 wiring and make one harness out of them. Yes it does stick out of the dash about an inch and a half, and makes use of the ashtray a little tougher, but it works. 

Its my understanding that anything in our EA82 cars that isn't factory will stick out, and require a mounting kit to make work right (factory or aftermarket).  With exception to the digital media (mech-less) aftermarket head units.  If you don't mind the lack of a cd player, you could try looking into one of these.  You can find them on Ebay for $30 or less usually, brand new.  They will still require a mounting kit and a wiring harness, as well as some wiring for the speakers but they are short enough to fit in our dashes.

The only other option I can suggest is a dash swap (not very feasible for most people, nor is it really practical just for a radio)

I ended up passing on the Outback deck, and went with the Alpine CD unit I already had. Not a bad job, all in all. I did have to transplant the radio antenna from the stock unit to the Alpine; I tapped into the key-on power and ground just behind the factory harness, and used the orange hot lead for clock/memory power; and I used the front speaker wire from the doors to under the dash. I spliced new wire from the deck to the clips. bypassing the common ground. (I also read everything I could find on this board before I started!)

It doesn't stick out too much, actually it's right at my fingertips when I'm driving, so that's an improvement ;) And I can see it at night, which is a HUGE upgrade over stock! 

I'll put up photos as soon as I figure out how... :wacko: