Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi.

I am going alone on a backpacker journey to Australia in next month where I intend to buy a car. My first car! Obviously it has to be a Subaru - but which one, an Outback or a Forester? I will stay in Australia for five months and I suppose I will drive more than 10.000 km, so ofcourse the fuelconsumption has to be reasonable and the comfort has to be good as well. Since I will be sleeping in the back of the car somedays, it also has to fit to a mattress and some luggage etc. It also has to be great offroading, since I will be going to Fraser Island and other remote areas. 

I have been keeping an eye on the Outback and the Forester, and the price varies from 2000,- to 3500,- AUD. So wich one gives the most bang for the buck and suits my needs best? And are there something in particular that I shall be aware of when buying a used Subaru?

// kgoul, Denmark

Hi guys!

Okay, that is also what I have been thinking.. Will the Outback be able to drive around on Fraser Island and other offroad places with it's low clearance? Or will I need to buy a liftkit? And would the 2.5 be suitable for going places like that? 

// kgoul

agree on the Outback - Outback will be longer than a Forester giving you more room to stretch out.

Also, The Outback rides a little better smoother (less choppy), because of the longer wheel base.

What are the driving conditions on Fraser Island?? This would be the determining factor to decide if you need a lift kit or not.

2.5 motor has more then enough power. Do you want a standard transmission or an automatic transmission??

Also, The Outback rides a little better smoother (less choppy), because of the longer wheel base.

What are the driving conditions on Fraser Island?? This would be the determining factor to decide if you need a lift kit or not.

2.5 motor has more then enough power. Do you want a standard transmission or an automatic transmission??

Okay, that is a definently an advantage with the longer wheel base on the road. But isn't it a disadvantage offroad?

Well, I have never been there.. But it should be a exacting offroad drive, due to sand, tide and so on. There is a video from Fraser Island here: 

That's good with the 2.5, there is a lot of them in Australia.. I think I will go for the manual transmission, but if I can get a decent one with automatic to a favourable price, I might go for that.. How is offroading with a automatic transmission? 

I should probably mention that I have never been offroading before.

//kgoul

If you're doing any uphill rocky climbing, you'll probably want an automatic. If the outbacks were available with a dual range manual look for that.

Cool, thanks. I will have that in mind! :-)

Are you making this trip on your own, or are you traveling with others, who will be driving their own vehicles?? Always better with others, in case you would have a vehicle break down, and need help.

I am going on my own. I will buy the needed equipment, MAXTRAX, 12v Air compressor, a snatch and a shovel - have I missed something? (But ofcourse that won't help if the vehicle breaks down and the tide is coming.. Fingers crossed!)

I won't take too big risks, but if I am surrounded by others I might go a little further.. 

Okay, that is a definently an advantage with the longer wheel base on the road. But isn't it a disadvantage offroad?

Well, I have never been there.. But it should be a exacting offroad drive, due to sand, tide and so on. There is a video from Fraser Island here: 

That's good with the 2.5, there is a lot of them in Australia.. I think I will go for the manual transmission, but if I can get a decent one with automatic to a favourable price, I might go for that.. How is offroading with a automatic transmission? 

I should probably mention that I have never been offroading before.

//kgoul

Watched the video. Looks like the entire area is sand, so no need to have an Outback "lifted." Not like you you would be climbing any large rocks,  that is when you need higher ground clearance. The automatic tranny will do just fine on the sand. Recommend you have some decent tires on an Outback, and be sure that you have enough gasoline. I didn't see any gas stations around. Enjoy..............the island trip looks like a lot of fun.

The slightly longer Outback will not be a negative vs, the slightly shorter Forester. Outback still has my vote of choice. It will easily carve its way through the sand.

Edited by Rooster2

Watched the video. Looks like the entire area is sand, so no need to have an Outback "lifted." Not like you you would be climbing any large rocks,  that is when you need higher ground clearance. The automatic tranny will do just fine on the sand. Recommend you have some decent tires on an Outback, and be sure that you have enough gasoline. I didn't see any gas stations around. Enjoy..............the island trip looks like a lot of fun.

The slightly longer Outback will not be a negative vs, the slightly shorter Forester. Outback still has my vote of choice. It will easily carve its way through the sand.

Thanks for your input! I just saved some bucks.. ;-) Yeah, I am sure it will be a great fun! 

I am still planning my adventure in Australia and just red about the Simpson Desert. Would a Subaru Outback be able to conquer places like that, with or without a lift kit?

There is a video from the desert here: 

I have searched Google for my question, and on another forum there was a guy, who had heard about a guy who did it in a Outback.. But what is your opinion? It seems like you know about the Outback's capabilities. 

I didn't see anything that I felt my 99 Outback couldn't conquer. I have an older model with OEM 15", that I put over sized 215 X 70 X 15" tires. This has give me an extra inch of lift with nice results. Newer Outbacks have 16 inch wheels, so don't know anything about tire sizes for 16 inch for a cheap lift.

One thing for sure, you are going to need some mud/snow, or off road type tires. The guys in the video had them on what they were driving. I would be inclined to buy an extra tire and wheel for the desert trip. Carry it up on the roof of the Outback, as an insurance policy in case you have a flat. Pad lock it in place, so no one can easily steal it.Maybe need to carry some cans of gas, if you have a long way to drive with no gas filling stations around.

The guys in the video looked like they had 2 way radios, nice to have. As said earlier, think best to drive the desert with others in other vehicles. Not a good place to break down by yourself, with no one around.

Looks advisable to have a Subie with air conditioning. Sure looks hot in the desert.

I'm not sure this is the kind of trip that's smart to make

1. with a car that's new and largely unknown to you.

2. you've never been offroading

3. By yourself.

There are a lot of things on a car that can break and leave you stuck out in the bush.

People who off-road regularly will literally take half a car along with them in case something breaks. Axles, suspension parts, starter, alternator, all of the various engine sensors, belts, hoses, spare timing belt parts. Enough oil, antifreeze, transmission fluid, etc. to completely fill the engine if they spring any leaks. Spare fuses, wires, cables, etc. for making electrical repairs.

And you really need to know your vehicle inside and out so that you can pinpoint a problem and repair it. Also need to have the tools necessary to make the needed repairs.

It takes some time to get to know a vehicle on that level. Know what to bring along and what can be left behind to maximize available cargo space and minimize weight.

I certainly wouldn't want to have my car break out in the middle of nowhere in an area that I'm unfamiliar with and not be able to fix it. Especially somewhere like the desert.

I would either limit travels to within walking distance of a populated area, or try to find a group of people traveling the same area and try to travel with them.

Fairtax makes some very good points. Over night, I was thinking more about your trip, and was starting to think the same thing. Driving a Subie, or any other vehicle off road into the wild without knowing the reliability factor of the vehicle can be risky. If you were to break down in the wild, you would quickly comprehend, and realize your Subie was not up for the trip.

There must be "off road" clubs in Australia, you could possibly join. It would be wise to learn from them what is needed for off roading in Australia.. Also, they would know the routes to take, and you could follow their lead on trips. Remember.....................You don't need to get lost in the middle of no where by yourself. That could be a disaster.

Hi.

I am going alone on a backpacker journey to Australia in next month where I intend to buy a car. My first car! Obviously it has to be a Subaru - but which one, an Outback or a Forester? I will stay in Australia for five months and I suppose I will drive more than 10.000 km, so ofcourse the fuelconsumption has to be reasonable and the comfort has to be good as well. Since I will be sleeping in the back of the car somedays, it also has to fit to a mattress and some luggage etc. It also has to be great offroading, since I will be going to Fraser Island and other remote areas. 

I have been keeping an eye on the Outback and the Forester, and the price varies from 2000,- to 3500,- AUD. So wich one gives the most bang for the buck and suits my needs best? And are there something in particular that I shall be aware of when buying a used Subaru?

// kgoul, Denmark

http://www.offroadsubarus.com/

They are mostly Aussies on that list they can answer the best.

Hi guys! Sorry for my late response - I am just in the middle of my last examinations.

Thanks for your input. Being left in the desert doesn't sound nice at all.. I will take contact to some offroad clubs and hear if they are planning to cross the desert, if so, ask if I can go along with them. 

Thanks

/ kgoul

Hi guys! Sorry for my late response - I am just in the middle of my last examinations.

Thanks for your input. Being left in the desert doesn't sound nice at all.. I will take contact to some offroad clubs and hear if they are planning to cross the desert, if so, ask if I can go along with them. 

Thanks

/ kgoul

Smart move on going to ask if you can join them on a trip.

You're going to buy a new Subaru and beat it up for five months and then leave it in Australia?

You can't take it home with you, the steering wheel is on the wrong side.

You're going to take quite a hit when you sell it back to the dealer as used.

I suggest renting. Get a good insurance policy and beat the crap out of it.

I I like Outbacks. About 8 inches of ground clearance.

Rent one with a roo bar.

Just my opinion.

I see it now.

I thought he meant the price difference between the Outback and the Forester was between AU$2k and 3.5k (US$1,800 to 3,300)

Missed the used part.

Now I'm wondering what an US$1,800 Australian Outback looks like.