Ultimate Subaru Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
stillmarykay

1987 fuel problem or is it electric

1987 Subaru gl  we have gone through the fuel system, new pump, new filters, rebuilt carb.   It just won't keep running, like its not getting enough fuel.  Won't rev up.  Like its not getting enough gas.  Help

Thanks for the idea we checked the exhaust and it is not plugged.  I keep thinking its not fuel, we checked spark and that is all good.  Keep trying open to any and all other suggestions.

EA82 I assume? Have you checked the timing belt to make sure it hasn't slipped? Timing? Carb'd or FI?  Compression test?

Thanks, you say EA82 , now this is my son's Subaru we have been unsure if it is a 87 or 88.  His title says 88 but it was built in 12/87.  So how do I tell and what is a EA82?  Thanks so much for any and all help you can give us. 

I have a 85 gl 4WD dual range wagon.   It has "EA82" large and stamped in the metal of the engine.  It is located in front of the carburator approx in the middle of the engine, behind a plastic "cover plate"on my car.  THe EA82 stamp may be covered with grime, grease, etc.  I had a similar problem to what you are describing and I did many of the "fixes" you have done.  Almost by accident I found my problem was a vacuum line cap to an unused tube had been knocked or fell off.  Once I capped the open tube off....bang the engine came back strong.  There are many very knowledgeable Subaru experts on the USMB. Aaron

EA82 is the engine type. They have plastic timing belt covers on the front of the engine. EA81 engines have no timing belt.