Ultimate Subaru Message Board

79 Brat in Vegas

lvsarge

I got it from a guy in Vegas, yeah. I wouldn't call him a kid though? He said HE bought it from a kid though. Previous owner only had it for a year. It sat in his garage mostly. I did a comp test on it before I bought it and could see why. Has one bad cylinder and another on the way out.

Yeah same with the next owner. He didn't know where to start. Said it ran when he first bought it but then it just sat for a year. Got any info as to what the kid had to do? I mean, body wise this is an immaculate car. It even has all of the A/C bits, too. I got it for pretty darn cheap so I don't mind getting my hands dirty on another truck, but any head's up on what to expect would be great. Thanks!

Big huge monster thanks and shout out to superpoo93 (aka Noel) who swung by with his dewalt electro-impact that made short work of that stubborn axle nut. Now, I can get back to work. Thanks again, sir!

Was it a corded impact driver? I've soaked the castle nut for 4 days in pb and it still won't budge.

Edited by bratbro

Sarge, the offer still stands to use the 1/2 impact wrench (345-ft lbs). and I have a regular 1/2 36mm socket. and a 32mm socket for those aftermarket nuts. I had an issue just like yours and the impact from my work, did the job. I have no problem bringing over, just let me know. I'm free Friday after 5;00pm. and Sun early before the SuperBowl.

For you Bratbro*

• 1 month later...

Hey guys. I'm back. So, I've made some progress, but I'm having to step back a bit. I'm having a problem with the clutch. I got the engine to turn over and run, and the clutch pedal was very loose. So I figured it was some adjustment in the cable. I tightened the cable a bit in increments, and the pedal is very loose, like I don't feel any resistance. I operate the fork by hand and the fork is hooked to the springs inside and resets itself, but I don't think the bearing is catching the pressure plate. I had to buy a new one because my old one got caught on the transmission shaft and bent one of the fins. I'm wondering if I bought the wrong sized pressure plate. Any other reason I wouldn't be feeling any resistance in the pedal?

Also, any easy way to get the trans out of the way to inspect it? I've got it unbolted, and supported on a jack right now. I'm about to pull the crossmember and just get it on the ground to inspect everything.

But it's not all bad... Seats are in. Yeah, they're ratty. But they're original and not the GL wagon velour style. I'll fix them. Some day.... Also fabbed in the stereo console area. Looks pretty good. :)

WP_20151008_12_43_20_Pro_zpsy4yk35ct.jpg

WP_20151009_19_08_07_Pro_zpspz732vj4.jpg

WP_20151009_19_08_18_Pro_zpsjfgualb1.jpg

As it sits now.

WP_20151010_13_32_07_Pro_zpsr4mfshwx.jpg

WP_20151010_13_33_48_Pro_zpsbj6vex5d.jpg

WP_20151010_13_43_42_Pro_zpsjchpytk7.jpg

Daddy's little helper:

WP_20151008_12_10_33_Pro_zpso3wzvwry.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys. Another update here. While I continue to struggle with my clutch not engaging (thread here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/156414-ea71-clutch-problem/?do=findComment&comment=1308409 ), I managed to finish my dash. Now, the dash did not come out 100% flawless, like I had hoped, but it is about 92% better than it was before. Plus it looks fresh and new(ish). I am pleased with the results. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts. No pics of it installed yet, as it's still hanging out on my work stand. But here ya go:

Took about 5 passes of filler and sanding to get it to this point:

WP_20151109_17_34_30_Pro_zps3dmh6foi.jpg

WP_20151109_18_55_03_Pro_zps4m0dcz3q.jpg

WP_20151109_20_30_20_Pro_zpst1va2sa4.jpg

I was trying to retain the factory speaker holes, and drilling them out, but it ended up just tearing out my filler. So I filled in the factory speaker holes, as I am not using that speaker or location anyhow:

WP_20151110_17_34_46_Pro_zpsjz4qxdnu.jpg

WP_20151110_17_43_21_Pro_zpsqbyseece.jpg

So a couple more passes of filler, and I started the texture process..

WP_20151115_12_29_24_Pro_zpskevbpish.jpg

Then primer and top coat.

WP_20151115_12_34_16_Pro_zpsdgtzjxsp.jpg

Adding some shiny bits:

WP_20151115_15_03_54_Pro_zpsmoq47mqy.jpg

WP_20151115_14_22_02_Pro_zpstfnpck7i.jpg

Tonight I'm tackling the clutch again. Hopefully I'll have some good news.

Edited by lvsarge
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

So the clutch problem is fixed, it's registered, and I have successfully taken this thing out for about a 3 mile drive. She runs great! I had to lean out the carb a little, and it can be a bit stubborn in the cold mornings but the truck drives, rolls, stops, and runs overall fantastic. I've still got bodywork to do, and paint eventually but I feel like I've resurrected this guy to close to it's former glory. Another brat on the road! :)

More pics to come as I take them. Thanks for all of your help and support USMB. You guys have been a great wealth of knowledge on this journey so far. I really do, sincerely, appreciate all of it.

• Like 1

Little status update. Took her to work twice this week and she did fine on the road. Surprisingly quiet on the highway (all the dynamat helps), and no random rattles and shakes I used to get going 65 mph. Startups, especially cold, remain a problem. It appears to be affiliated with the choke. It seems my throttle plate doesn't close after the engine cools off and I blip the throttle. I had been playing with the choke trying to make it not too tight and not too lose, it just seems gummed up, so I will clean all the linkages and see if I can dial it in better.

One question though that I haven't quite figured out. When I make a very sharp left or right hand turn (obviously at low speeds) I get what sounds like metal tapping metal, I assume from the stabilizer bar. Anyone know why this may be occuring? It's definitely not a wheel bearing clunk (god I'd hope not since I changed them out), but more of a tap tap tap on metal, until I straighten the wheel.

• 7 months later...

Wow, unbelievable thread, great work! The dash looks amazing. Where did you get the black carpet templet? Keep up the good work

Hey thanks Wiclipse. I can't remember where I got the black carpet. It was one of the major auto part companies online like Andy's, or Auto Geek. I don't recommend it though, it was cut pretty poorly, and didn't cover everything. Doing it again I'd have rather taken it somewhere to get a custom insert put in.

As for the Brat in this thread, however, I have since traded it away and no longer own it, as of about 3 weeks ago. The new owner says he plans to take it to Michigan, so hopefully it won't rot to death out there, but who knows.

I will start another thread on my yellow one if/when I get some time to dig in on it. It's just been sitting in my garage for a year and haven't had any time really to start in on it, yet.